Thread: Norton grinding wheel problems?

Norton grinding wheel problems?

I have a delta 6” bench grinder. I bought a Norton 6” white grinding wheel for it. When I started it up the wheel had a slight wobble to it. Installed another one and got the same results. These Norton wheels have three inserts for different size arbors. My old wheels are made for this arbor, they have no inserts. Has anyone else had problems with type of wheel set up?

Thanks Brian

My 8" Delta does the same thing but I don't know if the wheels that came on it were any better since I never used them. I don't think the inserts are to blame for the wobble though since the attachment "nuts" hold the wheels tight to the bushing on the inside. This may be a problem with inexpensive grinders in general. I'm sure womeone else will have some more information.

I am assuming that you have trued your wheels and that there is still some sort of wobble at the arbor?

Brian,

I have the same problem. I purchased 2 Norton white wheels for a 6" Delta grinder. The Norton wheels have so much vibration/wobble that I'm not sure they are safe to use. The stock wheels on the grinder run much smoother. Since I don't have a tool rest installed, I haven't tried to true the outside of the wheel. I plan to try this after building a tool rest. Not sure if this will correct the problem though.

Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil Arnold
    This may be a problem with inexpensive grinders in general. I'm sure womeone else will have some more information.
    I don't think so.

The only time I've had a wobble problem with a grinding wheel on my $45 Harbor Freight is when I didn't have the nut tightened enough. Snugged it up and the wobble went away.
    ---------------------------------------
    James Krenov says that "the craftsman lives in a
    condition where the size of his public is almost in
    inverse proportion to the quality of his work."
    (James Krenov, A Cabinetmaker's Notebook, 1976.)

I guess my public must be pretty huge then.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Knop
    I have a delta 6” bench grinder. I bought a Norton 6” white grinding wheel for it. When I started it up the wheel had a slight wobble to it. Installed another one and got the same results. These Norton wheels have three inserts for different size arbors. My old wheels are made for this arbor, they have no inserts. Has anyone else had problems with type of wheel set up?

Thanks Brian
    Brian,

Have you checked to make sure that the insert is fully inside the hole in the grinding wheel? These inserts can sometimes slide sideways, which throws the wheel out of balance. You might consider gluing the insert into the wheel to keep it in place.

JMHO, YMMV, ETC.
    ---------------------------------------
    James Krenov says that "the craftsman lives in a
    condition where the size of his public is almost in
    inverse proportion to the quality of his work."
    (James Krenov, A Cabinetmaker's Notebook, 1976.)

I guess my public must be pretty huge then.

Truing the wheel is very important. You do not want to have any visible runout. Personally, I would prefer wheels that do not require a bushing. I know that limits your coices and makes finding wheels a little more difficult, but it is much safer in the long run. Beyond that, wheels are designed to be 'pinched' between the fixed flange (check it for runout if you can) and a same-sized washer on the nut side. Both of these, flange and washer should be relieved so that contact is at the rim. Make sure there is no damage to the paper discs glued to the wheel on each side. These are present to distribute the squeeze evenly, or more importantly, eliminate the concentration of forces in one spot. You have received some good advice. Start at the beginning. If you have an indicator, check the shaft and flange for runout, then make sure your bushings are the right size and positioned properly and true the wheel. If you can't get rid of the vibration try another wheel. There could be internal density variations, not real common, especially with quality wheels like Norton. A couple other things. It is always a good idea to stand to the side when firing up a grinder and letting the wheel run for a minute or so. This seems to be the most common time, right after start up, for a wheel to fail. I would also avoid being in the line of fire while trying to eliminate your vibration problems. You may already know these things but I would rather not leave them unsaid. A wheel that explodes is frightening.

Greg

I have had issue with a couple of the Norton wheels. One thing I plan on doing is picking up the OneWay balancing kit since all wheels have some issues...nature of the beast. As mentioned, truing them up is essential and I agree with Tom to check that the inserts are not offset when you put the wheel on the shaft.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

further examination

After further examination I can see that even the old wheels (gray in color) are wobbling. If you put your finger along the side of the wheels you can feel it and can see it quite easily with the white wheel on. Is some side wobble normal? Or should look at getting another grinder? I dressed up the face of the wheel. But that really doesn’t do anything for the side wobble. The wobble makes me a little nerve’s.

Brian

Brian,

Wobble is not good. Either the wheel is out of flat or the fixed flange is running out and forcing the wheel wobble. You really need to check the flange since both wheels are wobbling. The other possibility, and just as bad, is a bent shaft. Might be time for a new grinder.

Greg

I'm with Brian. I have a new Delta grinder. The stock wheels have little vibration, but the replacement Norton white wheels with bushings have 3 times the wobble. I doubt it is the grinder as the stock wheels are ok. The trouble may be in the bushings. I'll have to play around with it more. Gluing them in may be a good idea.

Kurt

Are the Delta grinders the Shop Master brand that you get at the Big Box stores?
    Delta makes several grinders. The Shop Masters are known to have wobble issues. If you do a search you will see many complaints about them. I was about to purchase one myself but I researched them a bit and found they are for general sharpening not fine tools...

However Delta does make a very good grinder but it cost around $150.00

Greg

The Oneway balancing system works wonders. I have one that I have yet to install but my friend has one and the difference is amazing. It is one of those things that is easy to poo-poo but when you see it working you realize how nice it is.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.