Thread: first cnc router

first cnc router

I'm looking to buy my first router this is for my shop will not be running production just hobby to play with.
    have been looking at this one would like some input on this one pros and cons. This is in my price range $3700.00
    Link: http://conversioncnckit.com/product.php?id_product=50

This fully 4 axis cnc router will make a great addition to any home shop or business.
    It features precision ground, ball screws and ball nuts (c7 )
    coupled to 10 micro-stepping drives g540 .
    MACH3 is already set, so we sell our kit ready to go

CNC ROUTER MACHINE
    High-precision Ballscrew
    Q16mm Pitch 5mm (C7)

Supported Linear Rails
    for Y X and Z
    6 x linear SBR20mm
    6 Supported rails
    Linear bearing slide
    12pcs SBR20UU Bearing Blocks

Aluminum plate thickness
    1/2 inches and 3/4 inches
    Mic 6 Precision Machined Cast Aluminium Plate

1.5KW WATER-COOLING SPINDLE MOTOR
    SPEED: 0-24000 R/min
    Collet: ER11
    Water pump for the spindle
    You will simply need to add a bucket

Coolant system
    You will simply need to add a bucket
    4 axis Cnc Driver
    GECKO540
    Power Supply
    Can be used in all countries of the world, power is the input voltage 110v --- 240v AC
    The complete package will include the cnc router , PC computer, 17" lcd screen.
    G540 Software Configuration File (XML) for mach3 ready to work (all set now)

Stepper Motor
    Z axis Nema 23 290 oz/in Stepper Motor
    X axis Nema 23 290 oz/in Stepper Motor
    Y axis Nema 23 425 oz/in Stepper Motor
    Software
    licensed Mach3
    Software Working Demo
    Rhino 4.0
    Rhinocam 2.0 g- code
    Dimensions
    (L x W x H) 47.24" x 33.38" x 22.83"
    or in mm
    1200mm x 848mm x 580mm

Work area dimensions
    Z-axis travel 6" or 150mm
    X-axis travel 26.20" or 666mm
    Y-axis travel 41.50" or1056mm
    The weight of cnc router
    170 pounds " 80kg ".
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg q.jpg (16.7 KB, 147 views)
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 07-15-2012 at 9:30 PM. Reason: Added Link

For $3700 you may be able to get into a cncrouterparts build but may not get you a spindle setup. For that money I would go with a Rack and Pinion machine with using 4axis (Y and A slaved together on gantry). Also ER11 will not use 1/2" router bits so I would go ER20 in a 2.2kw spindle personally.

If you make it to Bloomington IL stop by and I will show you my build. You are 178 miles away.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Dahl, can you provide a link?
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Dahl

I built my own CNC machine. I purchased most of my material and parts from www.cncrouterparts.com --they also sell kits to build you own also. I have attached a photo and my parts list. Love the rack and pinion drive set up and the gantry risers.

My machine has a cutting area of 5 feet in each direction with a machine footprint of 6 by 6. It made ordering metal easy--the aluminum extrusions were 6 feet as were the rack gears. Have $ 2290 total into it so far. would like to swap out the router for a spindle once I get the bugs out. itemized list of costs: Steel for frame base 125 aluminum extrusion for the rails 250 Cold rolled steel for the bearings to run on 220 PARTS FROM CNCROUTERPARTS.COM Gantry risers 130 carriages with bearings 180 15 rack clamps 90 3 rack motor supports 270 gecko 4 axis power supply wiring steppers 665 e-switches 20 limit switches 15 3 6' rack gear 120 z ball screw and bearings --Ebay 50 misc steel aluminum plate 25 Hatachi m 12 router 75 Mach3 license 175
    cnc router 1.jpg
    Dave Seaver

As I understand it, you can link to commercial sites, just not YOUR commercial site. As long as you are only pointing out a site you found helpful, and do not stand to make any financial gain from the link, your are fine. Seaver Dave does not own cncrouterparts, and they are not paying him to link to it, so he's good.

If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will tell me.
    40 watt Full Spectrum Engineering laser. Two hobby CNC carving machines (CarveWright). Shop full of loud and noisy stuff to turn large expensive materials into cheap splinters and dust.

Douglas, you are correct as far as I know. Paul this is not about FREE SELF PROMOTION. In my opinion, it is about helping others with your experience and sharing things that have helped you not sharing your site to gain traffic, an emailing list or profit.
    Have a Blessed day,

Michael Kowalczyk

Laser-Trotec Speedy II 60 watt with 9.4.2 job control and will soon upgrade to JC X
    Corel Draw Suite X6, FlexiSign Pro 8.62, AI CS3 and Lasertype6

CNC Routers-Thermwood model C40 with 4th axis. Thermwood Model 42 with dual tables and dual spindles with ATC for high production runs,
    ArtcamPro 2010_SP4, EnroutePro 5.1, BobCad v21 & v24, Aspire v8 and Rhino 5.
    FOTC link
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/friends.php?cp=210&lp=0&t=0&q=

My email is 3ddesign@sbcglobal.net. I'm trying to figure out if I can build a cnc router for my son in Denver where he trying to machine ski cores "as a business". I'm in Cleveland.

I would appreciate some experienced guidance.

Dahl,

The kit you linked to looks quite complete... and with "some assembly required" should be very doable.

You're going to find that spindle lacking, however, so I'd contact the supplier and negatiate an upgrade.

Not every one is up to a DIY CNC design/build, and it's not uncommon for projects to get started and then falter, with the components sold on-line at fire sale prices.

The CNCzone.com is the best online source for all things CNC and has sections dedicated to home builds, etc. I would ask around over there and see who has put together a kit from that vendor and see how well they were supported.
    Last edited by Matt McColley; 09-18-2012 at 3:22 PM.

First CNC

You may want to check out Kronos Robotics - it's based on cncrouterparts kits, has a very complete BOM, prices, construction details etc. You'll still need a spindle though.

NFI. I bought the book and was impressed with the detail. Plan on building one as soon as I finish my "honey-do" list...

Good luck.

From Dave Seaver's post (or is that Seaver Dave's post?)

I had a hard time making sense of it since it was all jammed together, so I bulleted it and added the dollar signs. Sorry Dave, that sort of thing just drives me nuts. I really wanted to know what things cost....

So just in case anyone else cared and wanted a total:

• Steel for frame base $125
    • aluminum extrusion for the rails $250
    • Cold rolled steel for the bearings to run on $220

PARTS FROM CNCROUTERPARTS.COM

• Gantry risers $130
    • carriages with bearings $180
    • 15 rack clamps $90
    • 3 rack motor supports $270
    • gecko 4 axis power supply wiring steppers $665
    • e-switches $20
    • limit switches $15
    • 3 6' rack gear $120
    • z ball screw and bearings --Ebay $50
    • misc steel aluminum plate $25
    • Hatachi m 12 router $75
    • Mach3 license $175

Total
    $2410

I was also kinda wondering if Dave had upgraded his spindle and ironed out the bugs?
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Jim

Thanks for cleaning up my initial post. It was bunched up. It happened I think with the upload. Anyway the CNC machine is free of bugs and working great. Most of the bugs were conflicts with the configuration of Mach 3 . Adjusting the configuration and tightening up the Z axis did the trick. I did have 2 of the set screws on the steppers loosen up. I've been doing mostly carved signs. Love V-carve pro and cut 3D. Will upgrade to a spindle and Aspire in a few months.

Dave Seaver

Show us some pix sometime Dave. And where in the country are you? I wish someone nearby was building one... I'd be checking up on it every so often...
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain