Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adding a Cyclone Separator to a Dust Collector

Adding a Cyclone Separator to a Dust Collector

Oneida Air Systems makes a retrofit cyclone separator and I'm considering adding it in front of a Powermatic PM1900 3HP Dust Collector. My PM1900 is the previous model without the Turbo Cones. My application is for a drum sander, planer and shaper.
    Does anyone have experience with the Oneida Retrofit Cyclone Separator? Oneida recommended the model C-1800.
    Here's the links.

http://www.oneida-air.com/inventory.asp?Search=c-1800

http://www.powermatic.com/Products.a...72K&cat=332148

Thanks

Does that cyclone have the neutral vane and helical fins on the inside. If I were doing the retrofit I'd look at the clearvue cyclone as I think it is a better fine dust separator unless Oneida has changed their design. A used commercial is also and option, Torit 16 or 20", Dustkop, etc. They can be had for 300-500 and are better designed and heavier duty than the Oneida. Not quite as good at fine dust as the clearvue. Dave

Personally, I'd just get a Super Dust Deputy.

http://www.cycloneseparator.com/201.html .found this on ebay . i am looking to do the same thing as you

Oneida indicated there is a Neutral Vane but no helical fins.
    I'll take a look at the Clearvue cyclone too.

Be a little careful of whether that 3hp will run the clearvue adequately. Depending on the filter drop, and line drops, you might not get the air velocity you need for the cyclone to work well.

The drum sander will be the key because it makes a lot of dust.

I did a clearvue add-on using a 2hp blower. But I vent outside directly (no filter), which is where you might hit the biggest snag (as the filter clogs the air volume will decrease)

If you are just wanting to capture the bulk of the chips, you might look at the thein baffle or one of those others mentioned here.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Beckett View Post
    Be a little careful of whether that 3hp will run the clearvue adequately. Depending on the filter drop, and line drops, you might not get the air velocity you need for the cyclone to work well.

The drum sander will be the key because it makes a lot of dust.

I did a clearvue add-on using a 2hp blower. But I vent outside directly (no filter), which is where you might hit the biggest snag (as the filter clogs the air volume will decrease)

If you are just wanting to capture the bulk of the chips, you might look at the thein baffle or one of those others mentioned here.
    Carl makes a good point. I would check the diameter and configuration of the fan to insure you have the capacity for the added resistance of the cyclone. The clearvue actually has the least of the hobby type cyclones. Your problem with limited HP is that generally the better the cyclone at fine dust separation the more pressure drop. I'm not an owner- I run a much larger system- but the CV is the best engineered small cyclone for efficiency over the greatest range of particle size. Dave

Here's the specs on the PM1900

14" impeller dust collector with dual 2 micron canisters.
    The fan section develops 1,891 CFM (cubic feet per minute) of airflow at 8” of water.
    Velocity, also at 8” of water is 5,393.7 FPM (feet per minute).
    Static pressure is 12.15 inches of water.
    8" inlet.

I sent these off the Clearvue to get their opinion.
    Last edited by Peter Perrello; 07-15-2012 at 8:45 PM.

If it were me, I would consider a Thein baffle or reuse the motor and filters with a cyclone. This would make better use of your HP and real estate instead of placing a cyclone before the existing unit.

Mike
    Last edited by Michael W. Clark; 07-15-2012 at 11:29 PM.

Response from Clearvue,

Good morning Peter:

Thank you for your interest in Clear Vue Cyclones!

Yes, you can put our cyclone body in line with your current system, however keep in mind that you will not see the same performance results as with our complete system. The cyclone body will act as a pre-separator. The opening on the top of the cone for our CV1800 measures 9”; 8” for our CVMAX. The intake on the CV1800 is 6”; 8” for the CVMAX.

Our systems are designed to filter down to 0.5 microns with 99.99% efficiency. The vast majority of this separation occurs at the cone level. You’ll see a great improvement over the 2 micron separation that you see with your current unit.

Additionally, it’s not a problem to purchase the balance of the complete system separately at a later point in time, if you wanted to upgrade.

If I can help with anything further, please don’t hesitate to ask.

Take care,
    Cathy

Clear Vue Cyclones
    8633 South 212th Street
    Kent, Washington 98031
    1-888-299-0221, ext. 700
    www.clearvuecyclones.com

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Perrello View Post
    Our systems are designed to filter down to 0.5 microns with 99.99% efficiency.
    Are they saying that they can achieve nearly 100% separation on 50# bags of talc dust (.5 to 50-microns) or milled wheat flour (1 to 100-microns)?

If not, then what does that statement actually mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    Are they saying that they can achieve nearly 100% separation on 50# bags of talc dust (.5 to 50-microns) or milled wheat flour (1 to 100-microns)?

I don't know exactly what that means either but that number includes the two nanofiber filters in the system. The CV cyclone does as well or better with fine dust than others but the filter is still trapping most of the sub micron stuff. Tough on cartridge filters although the nano are surface loading so they blow off easier. I don't remember the site but there is a commercial DC company that published some figures on fine dust collection for different types of filters and the number of cleanings necessary on a comparable basis. Nano came out well for what that is worth. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    I don't know exactly what that means either but that number includes the two nanofiber filters in the system. The CV cyclone does as well or better with fine dust than others but the filter is still trapping most of the sub micron stuff. Tough on cartridge filters although the nano are surface loading so they blow off easier. I don't remember the site but there is a commercial DC company that published some figures on fine dust collection for different types of filters and the number of cleanings necessary on a comparable basis. Nano came out well for what that is worth. Dave
    Ah, okay, that makes a lot more sense.

Thanks Dave!

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post

The efficiency is probably by weight. A very small percentage of dust would be 0.5 micron. The filters are going to get the bulk of the dust below 2.5-5 micron. A low efficiency cyclone can probably get 95%+ by weight on planer shavings, but it may only get 75% on sanding dust (talc), leaving the rest for the filters. They cyclone will be even less efficient as the ACFM drops off. This could be an issue when adding it to a system, which is why I said either use the baffle or go all-out cyclone.

Mike

OK, I'm leaning toward the baffle.