Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: cermark competitor

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Jones View Post
    I guess I fall into crowd who complains about expensive consumables, but that's fine, I'm cheap

Cermark tape seems like it would be easier to use than the spray, but everyone uses he spray? What's easier for a beginner?
    Without knowing what laser you have it's hard to tell if tape will even work for you, Ferro recommends 45 watts minimum for tape. The easiest, and best, is to buy bulk, as Mike suggested, and airbrush it on. Spray cans won't get you the thin coating that you need and if they sit on a shelf for too long it will settle and stop spraying. Buy the smallest container you can and thin it between 5:1 and 10:1 and experiment. Make a grid of 1/4" squares and use 100% power and various speeds until you find the sweet spot. Do that test for all of the materials you will use and you'll have no problems marking almost anything.

Gary

I have seen this all too often about the pricing of Cermark. Most that use it have had success with it
    and as they say $100 of it will last forever. Many don't use it enough to justify buying that quantity.

Maybe Cermark should sell smaller sizes for $25-$30 as an intro kit. Just a thought.
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Boekers View Post
    I have seen this all too often about the pricing of Cermark. Most that use it have had success with it
    and as they say $100 of it will last forever. Many don't use it enough to justify buying that quantity.

Maybe Cermark should sell smaller sizes for $25-$30 as an intro kit. Just a thought.
    I'm with you on this one. I don't do enough to justify the cost, so when I need it for a $20 job and
    it will cost me $100 to be able to do it, that's not going to work for me. Now, if I used it all the time
    and made money with it, that would be a different story.

I bought a spray can that lasted one job and then clogged and the pressure ran down.
    I finally donned a face mask, ballistic apron, gloves and such .. took the can to a bench
    vise and started slowly sawing into it with a fine blade hacksaw. No pressure in the can,
    so I was safe. Cut it open, scooped out the mud and put it in a container with some
    denatured alcohol and now I can spray it on when I need it.

I'm don't have a laser yet, just exploring at this point, but I know I will want to mark metal with it. Thanks for the info, it's helping me figure out what laser I need, and what things cost.

You can try the alternatives , lots of discussion on these boards regarding other much cheaper compounds that experimentally minded folk have found that work quite well...
    If you are solely marking metal in highish volumes then consider a YAG galvo type machine.
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodne Gold View Post
    You can try the alternatives , lots of discussion on these boards regarding other much cheaper compounds that experimentally minded folk have found that work quite well...
    Yep... and I'm quite happy with the results. My red formula is working out, even if it has taken a while to make useable (though not perfect... yet). Ironically, however, I have not had a need for it on any orders... go figure ;-)
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

One spray can of cermark clogged and leaked. (they replaced it n/c) the second can has lasted me 6years todate, I salvaged what I could from the defective can and mixed it with ordinary methyl hydrate and put it on with a 1"wide brush. I also salvage whatever is oversprayed, and I wash off quantity jobs in methyl hydrate and salvage the residue when the methyl hydrate evaporates and put it back in the bottle. those cans have done thousands of dollars worth of work over the last nine years, and I still have lots left..All in All, it probably the lowest cost/highest profit material I use.
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

8. Forgive me but I'm new to this laser lark and this may have been covered before.

Tried engraving direct onto stainless with a 3040 / 40W laser and this is what I got.

Repeated about 7 times but when scotchbrited it soon removed the etching, top one wasn't touched as a reference.

Ran the same test with the stainless sprayed with some dry moly spray and this is the result.

All these have been scotchbrited [ is that a word ? ]

Works on steel and stainless, wipes straight off alloy so I suspect that the laser is burning the carbon into the ferrous metals ?

We can buy the dry moly spray in the Uk from RS [ Radiospares] for about £12 per aerosol

Blog Entries
    Yeah, the moly spray has been mentioned in the past... I didn't see as dark of a mark compared to the other options, however.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I can engrave directly on stainless with my 45 watt machine but it is not practical due to the slowness of the operation.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7