Thread: Question re Stanley SW hand drills

Question re Stanley SW hand drills

I recently found a Stanley SW hand drill on the youknowwherebutyoudonotmention. According to images I have seen this model could be a no 617. It is a single pinion drill, very straightforward and nothing ornamental about it. But the jaws are spring loaded and in good condition and the action is fine with no stalling and makes only a little noise when rotating. The drill ha several cosmetic issues with cracked and darkened paint on the gear wheel, almost entire loss of paint on handles and damage to the nickel plating. I have no intention of doing nothing about any of it. it will receive my usual cleaning treatment but I have no plans to restore it. It takes a WIktor Kuc to do it right and sadly to say I ain't no Wiktor Kuc.

Anyways, I do have a question for you in the know. I know Stanley made a few hand drills in the SW range and they are all very nice looking ones. But what I don't know is during which period they were made and how many models there were. So if any of you happen to own an SW era catalogue I would love to find out more. Also, my drill does not have a model number stamped onto it. The only markings are the Stanley SW logo followed by Made in USA and patent appd for. So if anyone could confirm the model number I'd be even happier.

Thanks and greetings from Finland,

Kim

Stanley SW hand drill_06.jpgStanley SW hand drill_05.jpgStanley SW hand drill_04.jpgStanley SW hand drill_03.jpgStanley SW hand drill_02.jpgStanley SW hand drill_01.jpg

Blog Entries
    From what is in the John Walter book, it looks like there were a bunch of egg beaters in the #611 - #620 number designation range that were the same except for whether or not they came with bits and if the handles were cocobolo or hardwood. There were also differences of Japanned cast iron or nickel plated steel frames.

Looks like production started about 1923 and ran to 1935 on many and to 1942 on some. The SW mark was used into 1935.

So it looks like it is a "#611 type."

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

If that drill was like any of the other Stanley drills from that era I've seen, the finish they used on the handle probably almost entirely obscured the wood grain of the handle - on the ones I've used or seen, it's shown just enough to acknowledge it's wood. Which is funny, because there's some attractive curl or figure on that handle!