Thread: Please help ID recent antique store find

Please help ID recent antique store find

Hi all,
    My fiancée and I were recently checking out an antique store and we stumbled upon an old tool tray full of tools. I didn’t have a lot of time to go through the tools in the tray but from the look of what I could see it looked like there was potential. After haggling with the owner for a few minutes I was walking away with must be easily over 60 lbs of tools for about $60. The tray itself is nothing special and after sifting through the contents I realized most of the tools were run of the mill and this was likely the contents of someone’s shed or basement as there is an odd assortment of run of the mill tools. I can ID most of the tools but I am finding it difficult to find some information on the more unique ones. This is where I am hoping the extensive knowledge base of SMC can help me out. Hopefully the pics I try to upload work out.
    Here is the extent of my haul.

StoneTools.jpgOtherTools.jpgWoodTools.jpgThere are 10 stone chisels of various stills including some cross chisels for boring holes. There are various wrenches (BTW does anyone know the proper name for the boxy wrench?) and what I was most excited about being a budding woodworker, a Sargent VBM No 57 scraper plane.

So onto my questions:
    Does anyone have a template for the tote for the plane? I have looked online but all I can find is patterns for Stanley or LV totes and I would really like to keep it as original as possible.
    What would be the best way to clean this dust off the japanning? It looks to be in good condition, just very dull and dirty. Also is there a source for replacement scrapper blades other than ebay?

Does anyone know what this tool does? It’s attached to a Yankee no. 12 screwdriver but I have never seen anything like it. It has three bars that have one end that looks like a screwdriver but the entire setup seems too complex to be just a screwdriver.
    Unknownopen.jpg
    UnknownTool.jpg

The chisel is a Greenlee. I think it says No. 290 but the middle number is hard to make out. Does anyone know how old this chisel would be? I’m not really sure where Greenlee falls in the ranks of chisel manufactures so any info would be appreciated.
    I think the spokeshave is nothing special. There is a ‘S’ on the bottom of the handle but that is the only marking on body. One of the blades says Stanley Rule and Level Co but it could be a replacement blade. The bridge is broken by the edge of the straight blade so I don’t know if it is going to be usable anyway.

So do you think I made out well for my $60 or did I get burned. I bought these planning to use them so it doesn't matter too much to me but if they would be worth a lot more then I paid then i can use this in the future to justify buying more tools .

Thanks
    Ryan
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ryan McKenna; 07-10-2012 at 10:31 PM.

Yea you did good from what I see. You could sell the ones you don't want and get that 60$ back, with tools to keep.

I don't know how to make a proper template but I can get a couple of pictures of my #57 tote laid on some graph paper. It would have to wait until tomorrow afternoon. Maybe it's the angle of the picture but are you sure that's a #57 and not a #59? The width to length view makes me ask. If you shine a flashlight into the gap where the cutter fits you should see a number stamped into the the clamp plate/lever cap just below the clamp screw. If its says 59 or 42 then it's a 59. Only the #57 has 57.

I would really appreciate any pictures you could send. I will have to clean out under the levercap and see what it says. Do you get much use out of your 57?
    Thanks
    Ryan

The mystery tool is indeed a screwdriver. My Dad had one like it. Move whichever "bar" has the tip you want to use to the center position. Both ends of the bar can be selected giving 6 tips total. Looks like one or more of your tips have some damage but there should be both slot and Robertson tips.

I'll get the pictures out later today. I don't use the #57 much. I found a pitiful #112 and after some much needed love it.,along with my Sargent #53, are used mostly. I really like that #53.

If you find the number that's confirmation, of course if the mouth is ~2-1/2" that's proof enough. I don't know of anyone else that made a 2-1/2" scraper plane.

To clean the scraper plane, I'd use a nylon or (gently) brass bristled brush and some mineral spirits. That should dissolve most of the crud on there. You spray the sides with wd40 and let it sit for a day, then try scrubbing some of the cosmetic rust off.

If this fails, you can try vinegar or citric acid to remove the rust.

For me, the best way to clean the curvy parts is to soak them in CA for a while, then take them to a drill press fitted with a fine wire cup. Wear leather gloves and abrade the rust and dirt out of the threads on the screws and dimples on the knobs.

Here's the pics if I did this right. The grid is 1/4" x 1/4"
    DSCN0270.JPGDSCN0271.JPGDSCN0272.JPGDSCN0269.JPG

Thank you very much. This will be very helpful. I looked into it after work and you were right it is a 59.

Thanks for the tips. I'll give the mineral spirits a shot when I have access to somewhere to work with a bit more ventilation next week. I don't have a drill press yet so do you thing the wire cup would work in a cordless drill?

Not so much.

Powered wire brush should be a very last resort. It over polishes and, while your scraper may not have any collectors value, it will end up looking like crap in my opinion. Use white Scotch pad or nylon brush, then if that doesn't work the brass brush and/or 0000 steel wool.

"Powered wire brush should be a very last resort...it will end up looking like crap in my opinion."

Yup, again, I'm contrarian here. A lot of people seem to think this. However, I'm not saying use a braided wire cup with an angle grinder. If you use a FINE wire cup on a drill press (if it makes u feel better keep the speed lower) then it certainly does not overpolish.

I think there is minimal risk of overpolishing adjustment knobs and screws anyway. I have only done about 4-5 plane refurbs, but on each one I've used a wire cup to clean the small parts, and I can vouch from experience that it's hard to screw these up (pun intended) this way.