Thread: My latest natural edged hall table

My latest natural edged hall table

This one will actually be heading to a gallery ( this is a first for me ) along with a few of my turnings
    Table top is Silver Maple, apron boards are Big Leaf Maple with a bit of curl and the legs are also maple though I'm not certain which variety.
    All the wood was locally harvested from trees that were taken down either because they were a hazard or to make way for new buildings roads etc. and destined for either firewood, slash burn or the land fill.

Top is 1 3/4" thick by 53" x 16"
    table hight is 29"
    Finish is several coats of wipe on poly and the top was buffed out using an 1800g pad and wax with the ROS
    The top slab actually visually floats above the legs, this was done by using brass bushings to elevate the top above the cross stretchers through which the top was fastened.

John
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have noticed that these natural tops are really popular now , good job ....................MB
    Usually busier than a cat in a sand box

Really wonderful project result!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Beautiful table, really appealing to the eye, have contemplated making a table along these lines with a live edge. To ask a dumb question if you care to share, how is the top fastened to the frame, dowels in the top matching the brass ferrels etc.

Very well done! The figure on the top is beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by doug williams View Post
    Beautiful table, really appealing to the eye, have contemplated making a table along these lines with a live edge. To ask a dumb question if you care to share, how is the top fastened to the frame, dowels in the top matching the brass ferrels etc.
    I used 4" long lag bolts that come up through the cross stretchers, they are counter sunk from beneath so you don't see the heads of the bolts and they extend into the top by about 1 1/4"

John

Thanks for the reply I wondered about that. You have inspired me to try my luck at this.The floating top sets off the table. Thanks for sharing the info. Doug