Here is another picture of my Ruobo bench (right side up this time) and my Moxon vise, which I made last night. The Moxon was made with benchcrafted hardware and 8/4 walnut, 5 7/8" tall and 36" wide, with 24" between the screws. I was going to make a table for it, but decided I could make that later if I decide after some use that I need it. Right now I'm leaning toward make the I-beam support described by Derek Cohen. For now the vise is held to the benchtop with two gramercy holdfasts and a 2" tall, 1 3/4 maple support board (not seen in figure), which is screwed to the back of the fixed jaw. The whole Moxon project was completed in just over an hour, which was nice given that the Ruobo was a multi-month, 100-plus hour affair! Of course I spent a dozen or so hours thinking about how I wanted to make the Moxon vise, but I guess that is part of the fun..... The bench and Moxon are both rock solid---the two best tools in my shop!! Thanks to all of the creekers, Christopher Schwarz, Derek Cohen, and others who have shared their bench-building thoughts and wisdom and made these project doable for me.

Moxon2.jpg