Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wood Species for interior doors.

Wood Species for interior doors.

I am in the planning stages to build 6 interior (and some closet) doors for my home. Any suggestions on wood species to use? Will a stained VG Douglas fir look as elegant as a solid Mahogany door?
    All suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Greg

in my opinion not matter what you do to pine it still looks like pine (to people that know the difference). if you want the look of mahogany you should use it. for other choices you could pretty much use what ever you like best.

Stained fir can look nice, but it won't look like Mahogany. On the other hand, 6 interior +closet doors all solid out of Mahogany = $$$. Unless it is a formal setting, it might be overkill. My front door was > 2K, and I don't think I could have made it for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Anthony View Post
    Stained fir can look nice, but it won't look like Mahogany. On the other hand, 6 interior +closet doors all solid out of Mahogany = $$$. Unless it is a formal setting, it might be overkill. My front door was > 2K, and I don't think I could have made it for that.
    Clear Douglas fir doors can be beautiful and welcoming (try to fine vertical grain). Mahogany pretty but formal and pricey. Eastern White Pine soft and informal - more work if you want to stain it properly. Maple is hard yet boring whereas red birch can be attractive. Cherry can be lovely but will get brown over the years and so loses its sunset warmth. Walnut starts and ends dark. I like Red Alder very much and back to the Doug Fir, all with clear coats.

Just noticed that this is your first post. Welcome to the Creek. Don't be shy to ask questions or to seek advice or offer comments, but don't be shy about becoming a contributor either. Cheap money for a great resource.
    Last edited by Sam Murdoch; 07-02-2012 at 10:54 PM. Reason: Putting in a plug
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Blog Entries
    My house in Seattle (20's craftsman) had doug fir doors stained mahogany red. Not terribly formal, but nice. I restored an 1860's house that had doug fir or pine doors but they had been faux grained to look like mahogany. This was an American technique brought over from France. You do the graining with a feather. It was a neat technique that I learned. Depending upon what your intent is, the doug ir can work.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Thanks for all the advice and the welcome. I had thought about Alder Sam but I have not seen Red Alder. Shawn, do you have pics of a project using the feather technique that you could post.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Fairweather View Post
    Thanks for all the advice and the welcome. I had thought about Alder Sam but I have not seen Red Alder. Shawn, do you have pics of a project using the feather technique that you could post.

Greg
    Alder is alder, as far as I know. Some people refer to it as poor man's cherry. In any event it is a very, very pale red when unfinished and with a clear coat it appears more golden, with a very light grain pattern highlighted here and there with shiny rays. I think it is a really lovely wood. Another feature of alder is that it will bleach to a really nice ivory white - never seen any wood quite match that color.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Blog Entries

Grained doors

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Fairweather View Post

Greg

I don't have any pictures of my work and unfortunately it is thousands of miles away from where I live. I found this on the web and it looks representative of the doors on the first floor (Grained in a red mahogany). We found an original, and used that as a reference match. Here is a photo that captures the essence of the graining.

Fauxgraineddoor.jpg

The house was a General's quarters at a "permanent" fort as opposed to a frontier outpost or first generation fort. Because the General was expected to entertain guests up to and including the President, the first floor was relatively opulent relative to other officer's quarters. This was of course done on a budget, so as many things were done in a less expensive way such as wood graining the doors. The non-public spaces, the upstairs and the servant's quarters had their doors grained in butternut.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Thanks Shawn. I may attempt the technique at a later date.

Greg

What about ash or hickory?

I do love the look of hickory, however I am primarily concerned with the expansion/contraction characteristics of the wood I finally choose. I live in Alberta, Canada where or moisture conditions can vary considerably.

Greg

I made these out of African Mahogany they called it ribbon grain...It had a lot of movement when I milled the parts. I milled them over sized & let them sit for a few day's then milled the pieces to almost the size I needed. Let sit for a few more days then I milled to the size I wanted. I made 19 doors all 1 3/8 thick & 6 8 tall. We probably have the same moisture here in Maine as you do. None warped or changed size from moisture IMG_7842.jpgIMG_7843.jpg

Jay,

Your doors are beautiful. I also like the leaded glass design and color.

Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Murdoch View Post
    Alder is alder, as far as I know. Some people refer to it as poor man's cherry. In any event it is a very, very pale red when unfinished and with a clear coat it appears more golden, with a very light grain pattern highlighted here and there with shiny rays. I think it is a really lovely wood. Another feature of alder is that it will bleach to a really nice ivory white - never seen any wood quite match that color.
    I wonder if after bleaching you could dye it with a color similiar to cherry. This way you don't have it turn dark like cherry does.

Lots of good advice here. Another thought is quartersawn white oak. Many period doors are quartersawn white oak though more often exterior rather than interior. Its very stable. Whatever you choose for a door, check for straightness, then check it again.
    Last edited by michael case; 07-07-2012 at 9:44 PM.