Thread: Two Sides of an Ash

Two Sides of an Ash

Several months ago I climbed over the woodpile on my cousins farm in Hope, Maine.
    Hope Woodpile.jpg

I was looking for a medium sized piece of Ash to try a couple hollow forms with. Found one I could get to, (on top and half way to the back... the pile is deeper than it is wide), cut off an end piece, tossed it down and loaded it up.
    Loaded Ash.jpg

Later split it in half, then one of the halves into quarters.
    ASH.jpg

Turned three hollow forms from the two quarters, the first I posted here. The other two were done the next day but things got busy and I never got around to posting the other two.
    The Blue Skies of Hope r.jpg

The other half was cored into a set of once turned bowls.
    7-01-12 Cored Ash 1r.jpg7-01-12 Cored Ash 2r.jpg

The rims were wrapped with stretch wrap for the first couple of weeks while they were drying in bags. Moisture seems to collect just under the inside edge of the stretch wrap which I assume is a good thing, but in this case it may have led to the grey staining on the inside edge of the rims.
    Wet sanded with AO to fill in the pores a bit.

11.75” x 4” on the largest
    7-01-12 Cored Ash 3r.jpg
    Thoughts and suggestions are always welcome and appreciated!
    Last edited by Baxter Smith; 07-02-2012 at 7:08 AM.

Baxter, wow. Beautiful trio of hollow forms, love the blue color with the ash, and a great nested set of bowls! You certainly know how to get the most out of a chunk of wood.
    Call me Jim, James seems so stuffy.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Baxter love those vases. The nested bowls look great. Some nice turnings out of some good looking ash.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

You my friend have way to much wood and time...but yet this rookie turner thing?! You are up in the ranks sir!!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Beautiful work on everything Baxter! The rich blue forms sure standout!!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

plain wood, beautifully done, bowls and even the paint job vases, very nice Baxter

I will say it again. ASH is very under-rated. I use a lot of ash.
    Nice work on everything.

ooh ooh, Baxter..that blue is Fantastik!!!!
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

You did a great job centering the grain on that large bowl. Nice attention to detail. Looking good.
    God is great and life is good!

Thanks for your thoughts. They are appreciated! I have more ash bowls to either sand or finish turn someday, but no more hollowforms to play with. I may try the dye on the outside of some of the bowls just for fun.

I just got a couple of pieces of ash (some crotch) and you've got me wanting to dig into it! Nice stuff, Baxter. Love the grain symetry to the bowls and the vases.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Nice work Baxter. I love ash - nice grain and it cuts reasonable.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author