Thread: Pen II

Red face Pen II

Last night I finally turned my second pen. With advice from this board as well as my wife's Grandfather, this one at least came out round! Here is a picture. Comments, critiques and advice welcome!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks nice Jason. I haven't tried any of the kits with the black stripe on the clip but it compliments the darker wood you used very nicely. Sounds like you might be risking an addiction here

Jason, it looks great! Turning a slimline so that it is perfectly straight like that is no easy task! I actually think it is harder to turn a straight slimline like that one, than one with a pattern to it.
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Looks good! Thanks for showing great work

Keith

Looks great Jason. I recently started turning pens also. Have finished about a dozen. Most have been "stolen" by my family.

I have been experimenting with BLO/CA finishing. So far I like the results I'm getting.

Keep up the good work.

Tim

I have been haveing good luck with a CA finish also.
    I brush on thin CA while the lathe is spinning and wipe it even with a brown paper towel.
    Once that dries I use a mixture of tripoli powder and friction wax to get a nice smooth finish and then finish off with a few more coats of friction polish.