Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A question of proportion and design (Regan esk)

Just a couple of thoughts.
    I agree a thinner plate would cut easier. I originally had planned on using a 0.025 plate then realized I was out of brass back slotted for 0.025. Hence the thicker plate. I had also planned on a cross cut. It was easier and quicker for me to file it rip. I am still learning to file properly. This also made it easier for me to compare two different hang angles on these last two saws I fumbled together. Even the finish on the handles is different. One is "True Oil" the other is Deft Wood Finish. The Deft was faster, but probably less durable.
    As far as functionality: I have always been one of those power tool guys that was all about the function of a tool. (Pre hand tool days) The plate under the handle does get used for about the first 3 inches. Part of the extension was aesthetics as well. I am one of those guys that will not use a tool if it does not feel right in my hand. I also think a tool should have a certain visual appeal. George Wilson, Klaus and Pedder, Ron Breese, Konrad, Etc. are excellent examples of blending functionality with beauty. I think a hand tool should beg you to pick it up and feel the functionality and craftsmanship. Make sense? Unfortunately I lack the skill set the above mentioned have. SO I just putter along, trying different things, and trying to be just a little different.
    Lastly I do appreciate the comments (C&C) What would we do without the internet? Thank you.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I think you've done a great job on the saws and it's great that you are experimenting to find what works for you and willing to seek and accept constructive criticism and suggestions from others. That takes guts. We all have our opinions about aesthetics and what "works" for us. You are in the process of trying out what works for you and what you enjoy. And, you have the courage to put your work out there for others to contemplate and criticize in order to gain insight and suggestions from others.

It is, indeed, wonderful that we have the opportunity to learn from people, literally all over the world. It is a source of constant amazement to me that I can learn from others in Germany, Great Britain, Australia, around the world, and all over the US from here in Alaska. I have learned more about woodworking, tool use, and tool making in the last 5 years (of retirement) than I learned in the previous 40. The internet and these types of forums are a wonderful source of information and enlightenment. I am constantly amazed at the generosity of people willing to share their knowledge, experience, and expertise with the world AND do it for nothing but the satisfaction for having helped others.

And, thanks to Ron for making brass backs available to those of us who are novice saw makers - making them only for our own use and satisfaction.

Ron,
    It looks like a great-functioning saw, but I know what you mean about wanting it to be pleasing to the eye. For purly aesthetic reasons, you may now want to try rounding off the top of the vertical section of the toe and then relaxing the curve to the spine (which would require you to shorten the spine up to an inch, I think). Here's a quick-and dirty mock-up:

curved toe.jpg
    I believe part of the "not-quite-right" look is the appearance of long flats at the toe and then again from the "old" curve up to the spine - compared to the heel and the curved look you started with, these straight areas tend to make the plate look like it grew after assembly. starting the line from the spine down with an immediate soft curve seems to help make the lines flow...

You've done excellent work with your saws, I hope you don't mind some additional suggestions
    Karl

Thanks Karl. I do like yours better. Shortening the long flat vertical is what I decided to do while waiting for more brass backs. What did you use as a graphics program for your mock up?

Oh, the most advanced graphics program ever (Not!) - Windows "Paint" - if you have Windows, it is under "Accessories". Just free-handed it with the paint brush tool and used the dropper to grab a background color.

But Ken,, do you own just one saw? I completely agree the if the saw cuts good, good. But I do not use the same saw I cut entry door tenons as I would cabinet size tenons. It is just two completely types of work. I used to only use one or two general size saws. Then started owning a few more and the more task specific the saw became the higher the quality of cut I was getting when I had the right saw for the job.

Ron , this is a great thread and appreciate your willingness to show pics of your build. I know absolutely nothing about western style back saws, can you indulge me a bit? What kinda of steel plates are you using? Do you flatten them if they come a bit out of flat?
    Spines, are they dead straight when you get them or do you need to work it a bit? What is the RC and the carbon content of the steel? What are you using to set?
    Keep up the good work,Correy

Corey, This is your standard 1095 blued spring steel. The stuff I have started to use comes flat. RC 48-51. Pretty standard. I am now punching my own plates.The brass backs are cut to approx. length, straightened by the machinist, and checked for thickness, prior to slotting. So far we have seen a variance of around 0.003" in thickness. The machinist adjust for this to keep it pretty much centered. We talked about setting up a jig for doing, say 4-6ft pieces. But it becomes more difficult to control quality. so for now we have a 20 inch limit. It is close enough with a snug fit that I have to tap it on or off with a dead blow mallet and a wooden dowel. As far as set, I am using a 42x. I am still learning to sharpen properly, but start low and add until it seems to saw without too much friction/heat. My bigger saws I just finished wound up with 0.005 set per side. I am still experimenting. But I do like the feel of the Regan handles. When my 0.025 slotted backs arrive I'll finish my Regan type saw, (cross cut), with the 0.025 plate.4" under spine. The down side to all this is these saws are all for me. So I'll have to live with my mess ups. It is a heck of a way to learn, but at least I am learning something, however little. Thanks.

I think the curve under the tote looks good. I don't find it threatening,but of course,I'm long used to using dangerous machines of many kinds.

Ron,I think you are learning a lot,and off to a very great start.

Just because I'm slow - what's a Regan, or a Regan-esque saw? Is Regan a type of saw? A boutique maker, a vintage brand, something else? Google isn't helping me.

Regan patent design refers to the handle shape. Fitted more to the hand with recesses for the thumb and index finger. Also the handle is left or right hand specific as well as size. You will notice the hang angle is different as well. See pic. above of the two saws together. Hope this helps.

I wouldn't say the design is bad. It reminds me of a 1930 - 50s cab over truck. It may not be elegant but it's certainly practical. I like it.

Ron, I think your on the right track. Experimenting is the only way to dial it in. Saws can be very species and task specific. I would not use the same saw on hardwoods as I would on cedar or pine. Different set and tooth style entirely. Wet wood, kiln dried, different saws. I see many more saws in your till^^^^. So who out there is the revered modern American saw maker these days, Lie Nielsen?

Correy asked, "But Ken,, do you own just one saw? I completely agree the if the saw cuts good, good. But I do not use the same saw I cut entry door tenons as I would cabinet size tenons. It is just two completely types of work. I used to only use one or two general size saws. Then started owning a few more and the more task specific the saw became the higher the quality of cut I was getting when I had the right saw for the job."

Honestly, I'm on the verge of being embarrassed at how many Western style back saws I own. My 16" LV rip tenon saw just arrived today! That puts my score at five backsaws.Way more than I need!

I didn't get the sense that the saw in question was supposed to be a do it all type of saw or even like the sash saw Gramercy makes. My point was that if it does what he wants it to do and does it well then his experiment is a win win event.

I like the tote and I like the workmanship he put into the saw. I'd change the nose of the blade to make it more graceful but my taste isn't everyone's taste and I got the impression the saw was sort of a prototype saw to try out some ideas. Extending the blade under the tote seems to me to be of somewhat questionable utility in a back saw,but if it works it works and I thought it made an attractive saw.

I think the maker should be applauded for his courage in trying something different.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Bontz View Post
    Regan patent design refers to the handle shape. Fitted more to the hand with recesses for the thumb and index finger. Also the handle is left or right hand specific as well as size. You will notice the hang angle is different as well. See pic. above of the two saws together. Hope this helps.
    The hang angle of the Reagan saws is the same as all other Disston backsaw from the period. They sized the handle to the saw, with 35 degree for 12" and down and 25 degrees for 14" and up. You can tell the difference between them by the distance between the saw screws.

A 16" Reagan handle:
    . Disston #9 Backsaw Reagan Patent Handle | eBay.jpeg

A 14" Reagan Handle:
    no9h.jpg