Thread: Michigan Cherry Pit Patriot Pen

Michigan Cherry Pit Patriot Pen

I haven't been on here in a while, so thought I would drop in & post my latest pen. This is a Patriot pen kit with a blank made out of dried Michigan Cherry Pits. This blank did not meet the expectations of one of the blank makers on IAP, so I paid for shipping to give it a try. Did not want the brass tube to show through so I painted my tube red & reverse painted the blank red. Glad I took this step because I was seeing red paint by the time I got this blank turned down. Tried taking light cuts but I had cherry pits popping out while cutting. So then the medium ca came out & started filling holes. I ended up spending a couple of days working on this blank in my spare time to get it to where I wanted it. Finally finished it up with 4 coats of medium ca & 8 coats of thin ca. Pen was mm out to 12k & finished off with plastic polish.

cp1800.jpg
    Billy

I saw Ed do a demo on these...scared the crap outa me just watching! Not something your going to see everyday...you'll have folks double-taking that one!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Sounds like it took a lot of extra effort but sure looks like it was worth it! Nice!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

That definitely was worth the effort. Great looking pen Billy.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Burr View Post
    I saw Ed do a demo on these...scared the crap outa me just watching! Not something your going to see everyday...you'll have folks double-taking that one!
    Thanks for the comments Jim! I've had several people commenting on this one already.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    Sounds like it took a lot of extra effort but sure looks like it was worth it! Nice!
    Thanks for the comments Steve! Yes it did take a lot more effort than I usually put into a pen but I believe it was worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Weishapl View Post
    That definitely was worth the effort. Great looking pen Billy.
    Thanks for the comments Bernie! I do appreciate it!
    Billy

A nice looking pen Billy. I do some occasional casting and have been wanting to do some more with objects but haven't taken the time as yet. This might just be the motivator I need.

"The best things in life are not things."

Great looking pen and nice matching colors.

Quote Originally Posted by James Combs View Post
    A nice looking pen Billy. I do some occasional casting and have been wanting to do some more with objects but haven't taken the time as yet. This might just be the motivator I need.
    Thanks for the comments James! I haven't taken up casting yet, but working with blanks like these are giving me the itch to learn how.

Quote Originally Posted by Donny Lawson View Post
    Great looking pen and nice matching colors.
    Thanks for the comments Donny!
    Billy