Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pine Lap Desk

Pine Lap Desk

The below pictures show my first day of work on a small pine lap desk inspired by Christian Becksvoort's in Fine. All material is 3/8" pine, breadboard ends are 3/8" QS sycamore that I milled from rescue wood. Overall dimensions are 11"x15"x3". I still need to find some QS white pine to make the bottom from. I'm waiting on some Brusso for the lid, and it looks like I'm going to have to fabricate a small brass hasp for the closure, they just don't make anything pretty that's small enough.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Trevor Walsh
    TWDesignShop

Sweet! Is that the one where he (Becksvoort) glued a solid piece of pine to the bottom without having to allow for wood movement because of the stability of the species. That (or something similar) has been on my build list too. Been wanting to build it for a while. Keep posting pics. Nice work so far! I love sycamore, really cool use of it.
    Last edited by Chris Griggs; 06-27-2012 at 9:11 PM. Reason: typo

Chris, yes it is. I highly endeavor to motivate you to do it, it's a fun project and doesn't take a lot of material, plus there's a lot of interesting techniques in it, DT, dado, breadboards and hardware fitting. I hope to get some more pine for the bottom this week, and hopefully get it glued and milled into a QS board. Wish me luck.
    Trevor Walsh
    TWDesignShop

If you find some of that QS white pine for the bottom, let me know. Better yet, grab an extra piece for me and I'll most definitely buy it off you and get to work on one myself.

They are indeed a great little project. I build one about 12years ago based on a shaker design. I'll have to figure out which magazine it was. I used Butternut and walnut for trim. If anyone is interested I would dig it out and photograph it for you all.

Jim, I'd love to see it!

Chris, I doubt it's going to be a full board, I'll probably be getting white pine and ripping out all the QS and gluing up a panel from that, still interested?
    Trevor Walsh
    TWDesignShop

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Walsh View Post
    Jim, I'd love to see it!

Chris, I doubt it's going to be a full board, I'll probably be getting white pine and ripping out all the QS and gluing up a panel from that, still interested?
    Jim, I'd love to see it too.

Trevor, yes, I'm still interested, seems like a good solution. Shoot me a PM whenever you get around to it.

Blog Entries
    Trevor I really like it, I love pine, it ages so nicely. please use oil or wax

I want a film finish, I will probably use several coats of shellac or polish at the least, with a hard wax on top.
    Trevor Walsh
    TWDesignShop

looks great! Any pictures of the breadboard ends in progress?

Good progress for a day's work.

Thanks George!

Garrett, I don't, I roughed them out on the tablesaw with a stacked dado and trimmed them with a skew rabbet plane.
    Trevor Walsh
    TWDesignShop

Trevor, that looks great, and is kinda inspiring to me. Not sure what I'd do with one, but now I want to build one! Also, just a side note that I envy you guys and your access to white pine.

daniel
    Not all chemicals are bad. Without hydrogen or oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.

Quote Originally Posted by daniel lane View Post
    ...I envy you guys and your access to white pine.

daniel
    Wow...it is rather hard for me to imagine a world without pine.

I also think this project's a great idea. Something I def could use a bunch. Am always grabbing the nearest hardcover book to use for drawing up sketches while watching tv. Can be a bit hard on the cover of them.

I agree Trevor, why is it so hard to find a simple but attractive well built brass hasp for small boxes and such. Most the boxes I build have a small frame and panel top that is very thin. I dont usually go for the clamshell type lids, therefore finding a hasp for such a thin top isn;t easy. I end up having to put a small lock in which isn't always what i'm after.