Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone put an AIGNER fence on a PM2700 Shaper??

Well the easy solution to all of this is to go out and buy a new Martin shaper.....it comes with the Aigner fence already installed

The Aigner fence is high up on my wish list. Especially when running awkward setups like I was yesterday where I had my molding head about 5" off the table running short pieces across the grain against the fence Operations like that really keep you focused!

let us know how you make out if you get one!

JeffD

Jeff, although I like the way you think, and would love a Martin, but i was stretching a bit to get the Aigner. However, truth be told I have been having that mental debate about the wisdom of maybe getting a Phase Perfect, looking for used 3ph euro equip, etc . . . . . then reality kicks in . . . . . Best regards, Patrick

Patrick, beware of reality. Even PP show up used once in a while- I've bought two for the price of one and one was still in the original wrapping. A friend of mine just bought a used Martin shaper for $400. I'm sure he will have more in it but I found a never used but ten year old SCMI T130 sliding table shaper for $3750. The cost of the three phase conversion pays back pretty quickly. sliding table saws are almost given away in this market, particularly when industrial and three phase. I really like the aigner but would give it up way before the three phase. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    Gents, I don't have the exact measurements but do have these photos of the Aigner plates on a few of our shapers, from Sam's past seminars. You can see how fat the plates and fingers, compared to most OEM fence plates. They are really nice but as others have pointed out, they do "diminish" the usable tool depth outside hood due to their thickness. I'm not sure how it is with other mfrs but we do offer larger shaper hoods as an option on many of our shapers, which have a wider opening between the fences, for specifically this reason. Hope these help illustrate a bit...

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA
    Erik, does SCMI sell a hood separately that has microadjustable fences which would fit a minimax t-40 shaper?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quinn View Post
    Erik, does SCMI sell a hood separately that has microadjustable fences which would fit a minimax t-40 shaper?
    Peter, smallest hood with that feature is the hood off the Elite-S. New mounting holes for the hood would probably have to be drilled, then tapped, into the T40's cast iron table (not a biggie...) and I think it would fit and in theory, no reason why it shouldn't, but have never tried it so cannot say for 100% on it. The only concern I have is if the new mounting holes that would end up in some structural member or other component that is under the deck and it almost be a case of needing to have both the hood and shaper there in front of me to say yay or nay. Shoot me an email offline if you want me to look into pricing, etc.

This is the hood, by the way. It is big...

Thanks,

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    I found a never used but ten year old SCMI T130 sliding table shaper for $3750. Dave
    Oh, so your the one that got that one I saw that and thought it was almost too good a deal to be true. Unfortunately wrong coast for me If you don't mind my asking...what was the deal with it....seemed weird that he had it for that long, never used it, then sold it for a song???

Patrick there's no question you could likely find a nice industrial for the cost of the Aigner or maybe less if you really wanted one! Your correct in that your biggest problem would be the cost of driving a larger 3 phase motor. Once you get into the big boy machines 5 hp is about the minimum with 7-1/2 - 12hp motors not being uncommon. getting convertors for those size motors can be costly for sure.

JeffD

Jeff I didn't get the one you are thinking of. There was something wierd about that one- hard to pin the seller down. Mine is actually newer- one of the white ones and close enough I could haul it myself. I did have a mobility kit so I could move it a little and made a feeder mount so I ended up with about 4500 in it. I'm working on a SCMI SI16W 10' slider now and will have about 3500 in it when done and it works like new. I'm a BIG fan of used industrial- as long as you avoid the unneeded electronics. Dave

Oops...my mistake. Though that means there were 2 SCM heavy duty shapers that were essentially NOS for about the same price recently! Regardless you still got a very nice machine for a very good price

I am certainly a fan of used industrial myself and if your talking about machine electronics, (as opposed to VFD's an such), I have to agree. As beneficial as CNC can be to bigger shops, for small shops like mine it's just not practical and presents a whole other level of stuff to go wrong. The Martin shaper I rebuilt is as simple as it gets and with just the minimal amount of care will outlast me and several more generations

JeffD

Yes Jeff, circuit board electronics are the worst. Machines from the 90's with electronic rise and fall, tilt etc are tough to fix or replace. Your Martin is the best. Their bearings are massive. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    circuit board electronics are the worst.
    indeed :-(
    JR