Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Accu-Head spiral cutter

Accu-Head spiral cutter

Hey Gang,

Anyone here have the Accu-Head spiral cutter on their planer and have used it a while? What is opinion of the cutter after using it? Do you have the carbide cutters or steel? I am seriously considering one for my DeWalt 735.

Thanks
    Jack

Unfortunately I can't provide any insight to this discussion because I am wondering the same thing for my DeWalt DW734 planer. I looked on their site and the cutter for my planer is only $250.
    I Pledge Allegiance to This Flag, And If That Bothers You Well That's Too Bad - Aaron Tippin

I think one of the magazines did a review of various heads a number of months ago. FWW? Dave

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    I think one of the magazines did a review of various heads a number of months ago. FWW? Dave
    David,

Your are correct except that it is really no a review. See http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/...rheads-for-250 This is the same head that ships on the Steel City 13" planer. I did a quick search and saw a couple of good reviews of the Steel City. Will investigate further.

Thanks
    Jack
    Last edited by Jack Lemley; 06-26-2012 at 1:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lemley View Post
    David,

Your are correct except that it is really no a review. See http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/...rheads-for-250 This is the same head that ships on the Steel City 13" planer. I did a quick search and saw a couple of good reviews of the Steel City. Will investigate further.

Thanks
    Jack
    There was a review of several heads including the Accuhead in the Winter 2011 Tools & Shops issue. It didn't do as well as all the other heads in the test. This isn't surprising since the heads have a low population of bits. Personally I wouldn't replace a straight knife head with one since they are HSS and not carbide, there has been talk of people replacing them with carbide cutters they have sourced, it seems however this would start to get it much closer in price to a Byrd head which by all accounts is superior and the best of the replacement heads available for hobby machines.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I bought the Accu-Head for my Ridgid TP1300 planer. I got my planer for free and was tired of trying to find replacement knives for it. I also happened to have 10 of the 4 sided carbide inserts that fit the head so I only needed to buy two more packs of ten inserts.

I can now run figured wood thru the planer. I do get some ridges using the 4 sided carbide inserts but that doesn't matter to me as I don't consider the planer as the last step in finishing my wood.

I would call them and talk with the tech and see how far they got with the carbide inserts they were developing for the head.

I also have a video of me running birds eye maple thru it.http://youtu.be/Q19Tt8Mmyqg

I looked into this head for my DW735 due to the low price, but ended up deciding the Byrd is worth $150 more. That being said, I still haven't pulled the trigger on the Byrd.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Robinson View Post
    I looked into this head for my DW735 due to the low price, but ended up deciding the Byrd is worth $150 more. That being said, I still haven't pulled the trigger on the Byrd.
    Might want to make that $200 more instead of $150. Right now it's listed for $447 on Holberns website

Holbrens give a discount for SMC. 10% IIRC. Takes it down to a little over $400

Clint

I also have a Accu-head in my Ridgid planer. Is it as good as a Byrd head? No, but it's miles ahead of the factory knives. I have the 4 sided carbide inserts in mine and it works really well. I do get some small ridges, but I always finish with a hand plane so they're no big deal.

I've found it tears out less than the straight knives, cuts a little quieter and the inserts last a very long time. It's a great improvement IMHO.

Anybody know what the spare inserts sell for? Didn't see anything on their website. I am biased toward Byrd but four sided carbide vs. two sided steel (they used to be only two sided) will yield much longer cutter life and probably justify the extra $150.

You might check with Grizzly about the cutterheads, have noticed often they are on sale. They sell Byrd as well as the chicom ones, and for some other machines besides their own. The Byrd was less from Griz than from Byrd, when I got it for my G0609.

Anyone know if Grizzly sells any Byrd heads besides the ones they list in the catalog/web they do have good prices but a limited selection shown.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Gumpper View Post
    Anybody know what the spare inserts sell for? Didn't see anything on their website. I am biased toward Byrd but four sided carbide vs. two sided steel (they used to be only two sided) will yield much longer cutter life and probably justify the extra $150.
    Got a quote from Accu-Head today. The inserts sell for $31.99 for a pack of 10. The head has 26 inserts installed and comes with a pack of 10.

Jack

You need to PAN SLOWLY when making videos,please!!!!!!