Thread: Mahogany, Walnut, Zebrawood Coffee Table

Mahogany, Walnut, Zebrawood Coffee Table

This is my first post on Sawmill, and the first furniture project entirely of my own design. Woods are genuine mahogany (top and legs), black walnut (from Missouri, I’m told), and zebrawood veneer for the inlay. The mahogany top uses two 11” wide boards with a little figure in them, which may come through a little in a pic or two. The walnut has some great ribbon striping that I hadn’t seen in walnut before. I had some zebrawood veneer on hand, which I thought would look good inlaid into the top. The inlay process was pretty easy. I also found it very easy to sand right through the veneer on a couple occasions, necessitating some repairs two different times.

Mortise and tenon joinery for the legs and stretchers. 1” long tenons on the breadboard ends, with brass pins to hold them in place. Just a little glue in the center to allow for wood movement. Top is attached with tongue-and-groove blocks, also to allow for wood movement.

I filled the grain on the top with a pumice (4f) and BLO slurry. It filled the grain well, and doesn’t muddy or obscure the figure in the wood too much either, but left a rough surface that was tough to sand down because it clogged the sandpaper so fast. I went through a lot of sand paper before I figured out that simply rubbing the top with a sanding disk cleaner quickly and easily removes the dried excess filler.

Finish is one coat BLO, one coat amber shellac, 6 or so coats of satin arm-r-seal, then Renaissance wax.

Dimensions: top 27.5” x 50”; legs 17.25” high.

2.jpg4.jpg6.jpg3.jpg1.jpg5.jpg

Blog Entries
    Great looking table. Too many species in one project for my taste but it's not my project. Workmanship is outstanding and a beautiful finish.

Great finish Rick!

Welcome to the Creek . . . . can't wait to see many more posts!
    A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.
    Ayn Rand

Oh..yeah! Beautiful. Very interesting combination of woods. Technically executed and finish is spot on.

Pat your self on the back, issue one big GLOAT badge...and enjoy your created beauty!

Nice job !

You execution looks fantastic. Congratulations.

Beautiful workmanship and a project to be proud of.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

Rick, Nice table and design. I do a fair amount of veneer work and might I suggest losing the sandpaper and only using a card scraper? I believe that you will be less likely to burn through. If I use sandpaper, I will only use a sanding block and use gently hand pressure. Looks great!