Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Big Router Died--Suggestions?

Question My Big Router Died--Suggestions?

My 20-or-so year old Freud 3 1/4 HP router bit the dust the other day. I'm looking to buy a reasonably-priced replacement that can handle some heavy work. Because of a special jig we occasionally use, the handles need to be removable. Unfortunately, that seems to rule out the Bosch. Any real-world experiences with DeWalt, Hitachi, Makita, etc. that you care to share? I've looked around in the obvious places but would love to get some recent user reviews. And I'd prefer to keep this purchase under $300. Many Thanks!

I have the dewalt 2 hp plung router. It does a realy good job on all the routing I have used it for. One realy nice thing sbout it is that you can hook up a shop vac to it and it gets at least 60 percent of the dust so there is less cleanup needed when your done. The one thing with this router is that I read that it will not last long if you use it in a router table.

'Nuther Freud? I don't know if the bases are identical or not. $291+shipping

http://www.oakale.com/products/Freud...0BLVLAZ99.html

Otherwise, Milwaukee has a large following.

The newer Freud FT3000 is loaded with a full compliment of convenient topside features....definitely food for thought. I'd also add the Milwaukee 5625 to your short list....very well built router, but doesn't have as many topside convenience features as the FT3000.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Anyone here using a Triton? I'll check out the Freud, too.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnold E Schnitzer View Post
    My 20-or-so year old Freud 3 1/4 HP router bit the dust the other day. I'm looking to buy a reasonably-priced replacement that can handle some heavy work. Because of a special jig we occasionally use, the handles need to be removable. Unfortunately, that seems to rule out the Bosch. Any real-world experiences with DeWalt, Hitachi, Makita, etc. that you care to share? I've looked around in the obvious places but would love to get some recent user reviews. And I'd prefer to keep this purchase under $300. Many Thanks!
    I have the Hitachi M12V as well as the Dewalt 625.

The Hitachi has gone through some design changes (now called the M12V2) and it appears to now have some issues. IMO, I would avoid it.

The Dewalt comes with a dust collection hood (snaps into the base) that does a good job of collecting dust @ the source when paired w. a vacuum (it fits my Festool hose!). The plunge stopper nut is absolute garbage & slips when you don't want it to; replace that with a different depth-stop solution and you'll be happy. The handles unscrew from the unit but the router has two large wings cast into the motor housing... I'm not sure if this causes a problem with your jig. Amazon's pictures clearly show the tabs.

Blog Entries
    I have the Triton TRA001. I have it mounted in my table. I haven't used it that much yet. But I don't think the handles are removable. They are an intricate part of the plunge mechanism. I used it hand held when building the table. It was well balanced and easy to control, even though it was HUGE! Some folks don't like the safety switch, but I find it nice.
    For me it is a great router. I got it for $199 just before Christmas. I was surprised to see it listed for $289 now. I guess I got a bargain.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

I have the smaller Triton (2 1/4 HP)--and I have the Bosch 1617EVS (also 2 1/4 HP). I bought the Bosch first, back when I didn't know diddly about routers, and mounted in the extension wing of my table saw. I've used it there, happily, several times. I bought the Triton to replace the Bosch in the table, primarily because of the Triton's design for changing bits and built-in table top height adjustment.

But, being lazy, I haven't made the switch. So the Triton is in service for hand-held use, and the Bosch is still under the table.

I like Triton's built-in plunge-ability, switch arrangement, etc. But it's a big fat machine (compared to the Bosch or a PC), and is awkward for some tasks. The 3 1/4 HP Triton (that Larry mentions) is even bigger.

Next on my list of shop improvements is a cabinet to enclose the router and provide bit storage, etc, so I will likely make the switch then.

The reviews of the Triton were glowing, back when I bought mine (like Larry, on sale), and after using it, I'm sold. Next time I win the lottery, I will consider buying the TRA001 for the table.

I have the Hitachi M12V2 in my table in a Woodpecker lift. It has been a horse. Bought it very cheap, $115, during an Amazon sale. I have not experienced any issues. One handle is removed in my installation. The other handle contains the speed selector.

My question is, did it bite the dust so bad that it can not be fixed?

A set of brushes or bearings are cheap but if you can't get parts for it then I guess I understand.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Huber View Post

A set of brushes or bearings are cheap but if you can't get parts for it then I guess I understand.
    +1 for this! If you are happy with the one you have and aren't looking for an excuse to replace it. I would do everything I could to get it fixed. If you don't know exactly what is wrong with it, you should take it to a repair shop and see if they could fix it. It is almost certain you could get it fixed for far less than the cost of a new router.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Blog Entries
    I bought a Triton to mount in my table because of the above table bit change and easy height adjust. I think it's the same one Larry bought (I'm at work so can't check). It's a little bulky for handheld use - weighs in at 13 lbs. Otherwise, I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Huber View Post

+2

I was going to ask the same question.

I ended up buying a Hitachi at a very attractive price. I do also plan to try and repair the old router to keep as a spare. However, it was getting a bit loose in the trunnions and bearings. Thanks for all the comments, folks.

I have a triton in a router table. Works well, BUT I'm a mostly hand tool guy, so I don't use it enough to comment on reliability.
    Paul