Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shop Tour #6B table saw and shaper

Shop Tour #6B table saw and shaper

good evening WW's
    This post is going to be simple and to the point, keep watching for shop tour 6c and all of shop tour 7 a b c, they will be worth looking at IMHO.

This is my table saw. it is going to look a little strange to some of you. It sort of looks like a unisaw on steriods. This is a delta / rockwell RT-40 saw that is still made. The new ones tip the scale at around 1150 lbs, where as the older "rockwell" were more in the 1500 lb range. Here are some of the vitals
    1. 7.5 hp 3 phase motor
    2. 2 speed pully system that provides 3000 rpm or 4500 rpm
    3. 16" blade, but can run smaller blades in the 12" to 14" range
    4. hugh cast iron table 59" x 43.3" ( for comparison unisaw top is 36" x 27" ) - This is actually one of the potential drawbacks for this saw. The top is so large that it takes some getting used to. I happen to be about 6' so for me it is about right sized, but for smaller folks it would be a problem. After using this saw for three years now I would not want to go back to a normal unisaw, but that is just me.
    5. the dust collecton on this saw is similar to some of the sliding saws. The blade is housed in a dust chute that moves with the entire trunion assembly.
    6. scary amount of power.

The shaper is the run of the mill delta shaper with a steif power feed...nothing exciting about it. does a good job. I would be interested in hearing from those with tilting spindle shapers and how they like them.

thanks for looking

lou
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by lou sansone; 04-05-2005 at 7:25 PM.

couple more pictures
    Attached Images Attached Images

Man, Lou that is some piece of iron.

I would be surprised to hear that isn't a 3 ph machine. Am I right?
    This is the kind of equipment I see go for a song at some auctions because it is 3ph.

Nice Lou. Do you use the slower speed with the 16" blade, is that the mentality of multi speed table saws?

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wolf
    Nice Lou. Do you use the slower speed with the 16" blade, is that the mentality of multi speed table saws?

Richard
    dear richard

you got it. I believe that the idea is trying to match the Surface feet per minute based upon the diameter of the blade. I am not an expert in this, but there seems that it has been determined that there is an optimal speed for blades. Anyone else out there on the forum have more info, it would be welcomed
    thanks lou

Thanks Lou, thats a intersting concept, one I haven't given much thought about. I wonder what kind of effect that has on using a 6" dado set on a 10" cabinet saw?
    Anyone?

Richard

Another brute of a machine.........

Nice....

Lou......I thought you joiner was an aircraft carrier.....Now I realize you have an entire flotilla! Impressive tool that saw of yours!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Nice, a table saw that converts into a ping pong table. No really, that is a nice saw. I'm guessing the little cut-outs at the bottom are for fork lift blades.

I'm hoping the guard and splitter were removed to make the picture prettier. What do you do for a guard and splitter?

The shaper looks nice too. I've never used a power feeder but I bet it's nice.

Thanks for sharing.

Lou -

I sure hope you are on a concrete slab. It looks like you have about 4 tons worth of iron!

Your tools make my contractor saw and 6 inch jointer look like plastic toys.

Can I can come up and play?

Mike

Wow, now that saw is a big old hunka hunk of burning HP!! The thought of a kickback comeing off of that monster scares the heck out of me!!! Nice equipment Lou!

Corey

Wow, that TS is massive!!! One beautiful piece of WW equipment!! Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by lou sansone
    dear richard

you got it. I believe that the idea is trying to match the Surface feet per minute based upon the diameter of the blade. I am not an expert in this, but there seems that it has been determined that there is an optimal speed for blades. Anyone else out there on the forum have more info, it would be welcomed
    thanks lou
    Hi Lou, Nice pictures of the shop. I might have missed it but is that the Delta Invicta saw that was made for Delta by Invicta of Brazil.
    On blade speeds. On some of the blades I have that are from Guhdo there are two speeds listed. One is the max rpm, the other is optimum rpm. The max is the maximum speed for that blade that is recommended. Larger the blade the faster the tip speed, so you don't want to run a 16" blade at 6000rpm. From what I understand the optimum speed, is the rpm that will give the best cut over a longer period between sharpenings. I think the 315mm blade I use has an optimum speed of around 4200rpm.
    For tilting shapers, the Felder shaper I have has a tilting spindle. It's one of those things that you don't use a lot but when you need it for something special you're glad it's there.
    take care,
    John

Lou, you really do have big iron in your shop! Man that table saw is huge!
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Quote Originally Posted by John Renzetti
    Hi Lou, Nice pictures of the shop. I might have missed it but is that the Delta Invicta saw that was made for Delta by Invicta of Brazil.
    On blade speeds. On some of the blades I have that are from Guhdo there are two speeds listed. One is the max rpm, the other is optimum rpm. The max is the maximum speed for that blade that is recommended. Larger the blade the faster the tip speed, so you don't want to run a 16" blade at 6000rpm. From what I understand the optimum speed, is the rpm that will give the best cut over a longer period between sharpenings. I think the 315mm blade I use has an optimum speed of around 4200rpm.
    For tilting shapers, the Felder shaper I have has a tilting spindle. It's one of those things that you don't use a lot but when you need it for something special you're glad it's there.
    take care,
    John
    Hi john

you are right that invicta now makes these saws for delta. I believe that in the early 80's that rockwell was still making them in the US, but I could be wrong on that.

as far as blade speed goes, I only run a 12" blade now at the 4500 rpm speed. I had run it at 3000 but it did seems to cut better at the higher rpm. The 16" blade would definitly be run at the 3000 rpm speed.

IRT to the tilting shaper, it would seem that it could be very handy for custom odd shapes that often come up when trying to reproduce period moldings without going to a custom ground set of knifes.

lou