Thread: Bat's ears in dado cuts?

Bat's ears in dado cuts?

The Forrest Dado King thread and my present interest in the topic prompted the thought: is there any way around the issue of grooves caused by the bats's ears when using repeated passes with a dado set to cut a tenon?

Is it a case of reverting to the router table where this is an issue?

ian

I suppose you could send them to the sharpener & have the "ears" ground off, but why bother. They are pretty insignificant, especially on a tennon. Tennons on the router table....yuk.

I agree Joe that the router table doesn't appeal. I was thinking of say a bridle joint situation where the sides of the tenon are visible.....

I'd have to say that there are better ways to cut a tennon than with a dado blade anyway. tennoning jig, bandsaw, shoulder plane, etc.

How about using a tenon jig on the table saw? The cheeks are cut w/ the blade, so no bat ears?

The box joint sets tend to have flat ground teeth, which leave no bat ears.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Thanks guys. My lack of experience is coming through here in that my shop is just nearing completion after more than a year of work.

I've actually got the option to go the bandsaw, router table or table saw routes - the coming months are going to see a fairly steep learning curve.

That's good news - it tends to suggest that the primary role for a dado slot is perhaps rebates and long slots - in which case the bat's ears are not really an issue....

I'll take a look at the box joint sets too Scott.

ian

Try one with the DK - I doubt you will see anything - the grooves will be on the inside.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.