Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mini-split AC brand and vendor recommendation wanted

Anyone have any documentation on how to install one of these systems? I want to see how possible it would be to self install, and what all is involved, and a good step by step instruction guide.
    -------------------------------------
    Adrian Anguiano

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". Jeremiah 29:11

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Anguiano View Post
    Anyone have any documentation on how to install one of these systems? I want to see how possible it would be to self install, and what all is involved, and a good step by step instruction guide.
    I self-installed my system. If you are familiar with basic electrical installation, and working with copper tubing and compression fittings, you can install your own. Typically they come pre-charged; you need to set the outside unit, and run power (typically 14/3 romex) and the tubing kit in-between the two. Tighten up the fittings, complete the wiring, open up the valves and you're done.

The shorter the length from the evaporator to the condenser, the better you will be. If you have a long run, it would be best to have an HVAC tech pull a vacuum on the lines.

@ John Loftis.....

I too am curious how the AmVent product showed up, installed, etc......I looked at these, but I noticed that Amazon listed these as being distributed by Ramsond Corporation. Just as an FYI, I Googled Ramsond, and got hits on a lot of complaints about Ramsond, damaged units, bad compressors, etc. I hope this doesnt hit yours, but if you could post some details, that would be great.

I purchased a 2.5 ton Fedders unit for my 780SF shop, going to start the installation this weekend.

Scott, you sure about just opening the valves? From what I have read, you need a professional to vacuum the air out of the lines before the system is activated.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Martin View Post
    I purchased a 2.5 ton Fedders unit for my 780SF shop, going to start the installation this weekend.

Scott, you sure about just opening the valves? From what I have read, you need a professional to vacuum the air out of the lines before the system is activated.
    Ben, normally you would pull a vacuum on the lines if they are a longer run (>25'). However, when I installed mine I asked this same question to my HVAC guy, and he told me that on the small systems if the run was short no vacuum was needed (although it is always a good idea). The added benefit is that the line kits for the mini-splits is fairly small diameter, so there is not much contamination. As I recally, my line run was only about 8', so the vacuum was not required.

Not so.

A vacuum is ALWAYS required. The minute the copper lines are opened to the atmosphere in order to make connections to the indoor and outdoor units, the moisture presently in the ambient air is immediately present in the copper lines. Only a proper evacuation can remove this moisture. in fact a correct manufacturers supplied line set comes with access ports install for the purpose of connecting a vacuum pump for proper evacuation.

Also you need to follow the manufacturers recommendations for maximum length of copper tubing allowed. In addition, additional refrigerant is required based on the total length of the line set. This charge is CRITICAL ina R410-a system.

Contrary to the few who got lucky with their homeowner installation, HVAC installation is not a DIY project.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Leigh View Post
    Not so.

A vacuum is ALWAYS required. The minute the copper lines are opened to the atmosphere in order to make connections to the indoor and outdoor units, the moisture presently in the ambient air is immediately present in the copper lines. Only a proper evacuation can remove this moisture. in fact a correct manufacturers supplied line set comes with access ports install for the purpose of connecting a vacuum pump for proper evacuation.

Also you need to follow the manufacturers recommendations for maximum length of copper tubing allowed. In addition, additional refrigerant is required based on the total length of the line set. This charge is CRITICAL ina R410-a system.

Contrary to the few who got lucky with their homeowner installation, HVAC installation is not a DIY project.
    Joe, on the mini-splits the access ports are usually included on the condenser unit. The line sets typically are comprised of copper lines inside of insulation - nothing more. Some of them even have the line-set precharged with quick-connect fittings, so the system is never open and exposed to moisture.

Considering the quality of many of today's HVAC techs, there is no doubt in my mind that many of the members of SMC are fully capable to install their own mini-split system. I concur that a larger split system is beyond most DIY'ers (even SMC'ers), but many of the mini-splits are designed for DIY installation.
    Last edited by Scott T Smith; 07-11-2012 at 9:04 PM.

I just installed a KWSG012 (12k BTU) Klimaire Mini split in my under 400 sq ft uninsulated garage.

I paid $50 off CraigsList and then $200 to have it recharged
    I think I came out ahead.

My shop is so much more tolerable. I went 7 yrs with no AC.... man it's nice to have ac.
    Husband to 1, father to 9
    2 girls and 7 boys (in that order)
    Life Is Full Of Blessings
    The Lord is my Rock and my Refuge.

I have a Sanyo mini-split for my AZ 3 car garage. I was limited to 20 amps 220V without spending a ton to run a new line 120 ft underground so I bought the highest efficiency unit I could find that was close to 20 amps. The unit is very efficient but it takes several hours to cool down all the thermal mass in the garage. Also, I put in R17 insulated doors and the ceiling is insulated. The two side walls are not and I need to do more there as the AC has a hard time keeping up when running the big dust collector and tools. I suggest going bigger than you think. I think I'd be happier with a true 3 ton.