Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New to the forum

I'll second what Ken just said. I'm very honest with my opinions. I call junk what it is, and I praise the really great products and company experiences...sometimes different products from the same company. I don't think I've ever had a post deleted or modified a moderator for that reason. I've slammed plenty of products for being completely inadequate for the advertised purpose based on experience with the product.

Don't mean to single out Grizzly, but just as an example, SMC was turning into the Shiraz bat phone...people were coming on with one or two posts to their name and ranting, and I don't think anyone...especially not just lowly members like me...wanted to see this turn into a convenient place for people to simply get attention and action.

Sorry, Ken...I don't want to put words in anyone's mouth, but that's how it looks from my point of view. I've never seen a fair criticism of any product get censored.
    Last edited by John Coloccia; 06-21-2012 at 3:06 PM.

My first jointer was a PM. It worked flawlessly. Do your research as you buy the machines that you need. Buy the brand/model that meets your needs, not the opinions of others. You'll like that Byrd head. I've got one on my jointer and my planer.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

First, welcome to the best wwing site on the planet. You're right, there are some very helpful people here and I've taken advantage of them often. It has been said that there have been a lot of quality projects made with less than high end equipment. It's the people that make the difference. TRUE, TRUE. Get to know your equipment and I'll bet you'll be doing great stuff. Questions when you run into dilemmas and problems...ask. You'll get many opinions and guidance here, not always the same, but most have been through it before you and more than once I've been SAVED by the people on this forum. The Neanders wouldn't think of using a PM...but they do some beautiful things without any of our SawStops, PMs, Grizzlys, etc.

Hi Stan. Relax and enjoy your PM they are "mostly" standout machines. I have used bandsaws and planers with no complaints and have been very happy with my own jointer. I would not hesitate to buy another PM if the need arose.
    Last edited by Sam Murdoch; 06-21-2012 at 10:05 PM. Reason: spellin'
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

I know that the PM machines are great. The cost of shipping them up here to Canada was just to great to even consider, so I have not bought them. But if the machine works, and you are clearly getting value for your money in the forms of a better head and an actual warranty. What difference does it make if others don't feel they want to spend their money the same as you did.

What does count is that you have a machine that fills a need, and makes you happy using it.

Thanks again for every ones positive feedback. I have been woodworking for two years now and I cant get enough of it. I am always reading to learn more so when I found this forum I thought what a great place to get and give information about this passion that I am so consumed with. I will give my opinion on the new PM planer after I spend some time setting it up and using it. I am once again looking forward to receiving my new planer tomorrow thanks to all of your positive replies.

thanks again stan

Blog Entries
    Don't stress Stan. That mustard paint runs pretty deep for some folks despite the price. I agree with Van that often negative statements about a machine's quality can come from a person who is not qualified to make them. Over the last several years people have been focusing more on the specific machines that one company or another does well, regardless of the paint job. I have good machines in green, grey, mayo and so forth. I am sure many of us could name a machine that PM, Griz, Jet, Delta and even those "better" guys do very well, and do not so well, or even do poorly. That's a solid planer design you have there; used by several providers. I have the Grizzly version with the spiral head and have been nothing but happy with it.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 06-21-2012 at 7:59 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    whats wrong with PM? i have their 14 bandsaw and its one of the best tools i own. would love to have one of their tablesaws next.

oh, welcome to the forum, your going to love it here with lots of great people! be sure to check out the free give away section as
    there are a couple freebies to get signed up for that will be given away soon.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I Love The Smell Of Sawdust In The Morning!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------