Thread: Red Elm hf

Red Elm hf

Another cool piece of wood, courtesy of John Kent!
    Knowing that elm can move a bit, I had planned to just rough it out then give it a DNA soak, but as usual I turned the outside, then thought I would just drill out the center before stopping, then with the center drilled out I thought I would just take a little more from the inside and the next thing I knew it was going on 10pm and I was finishing the bottom.
    Added a couple of beads on the top just for something a little different. I could have made the bottom a little smaller, but I'm still happy with it.
    Its about 6" x 5", finished with antique oil and buffed.

PICT0001-001.JPGPICT0002-001.JPGPICT0003.JPGPICT0004.JPGPICT0005.JPGPICT0006.JPG
    Thanks for looking!
    Comments and critiques are welcome.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

This one is spectacular Kathy, I love the rim, the beading is absolutely perfect. That is some really pretty elm too. I don't think the size of the foot on this one detracts any from it, the squat form carries it very well. Definitely a well done piece!
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

Beautiful job, Kathy. I think Rick says it all.

4. Great idea putting the beads on the top......makes for an interesting turning and give character to the piece...........you do nice work K!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I also agree with what Rick said.

Beautiful piece Kathy. I do like the beading.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

That is a very nice HF, I like the shape and details. The pictures are really good also. I am interested in the warpage you get on this one, I think it will still look great but suspect that the opening will be "out of level" after it dries.

Looks pretty good to me! Nice form and I really like the rich color of the wood!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

That is a beautiful piece.I would have turned it to finished too. The times I've twice turned Elm it was rock hard.
    Half way between the north pole and the equator!
    Half way between Steve Schlumpf and John Keeton!

Thanks guys!
    I was happy with it when it was finished, but the more I look at it, the more I like it. Even with the wider base, the form is pleasing to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Ford View Post
    That is a very nice HF, I like the shape and details. The pictures are really good also. I am interested in the warpage you get on this one, I think it will still look great but suspect that the opening will be "out of level" after it dries.
    I've got it bagged up to try and control the drying to minimize movement. Got my fingers crossed.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.