Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: White steel, Blue steel, what's the difference?

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis McDonaugh
    I've even seen copy saying Japanese chisels are made from old anchors. Why is that a good thing and why the devil are there so many anchors laying around Japan?
    Not all chisels and planes are made with old anchor chain iron, but many of the more expensive ones are. I've seen the piles of anchor chain and the cut up anchors to prove it (I have a small pile myself). There are also piles of old riveted bridge girders, boiler tanks, etc. The point is that it's wrought iron - pre Bessemer - and it forges more easily, has a fibrous nature which allows it to bend rather than fatigue crack, resists rust, is soft on sharpening stones, and it etches nicely to reveal wood grain or mokume patterns. The stuff is getting harder and harder to come by in Japan so the toolmakers really have to scrounge for it, but there is a market for it there so people do salvage it. Here it all just get's hauled to the scrappers yard where it gets melted together with old cars and whatever to make new stuff.

My understanding is that blue and white are the colors of the paper that the steel is wrapped in, as delivered to the chisel maker.

Tony said (I'm sure rhetorically)...."Who knows what's hype and what isn't! "
    I think he nailed it.
    There seems to be an irrational love affair with Japanese made tools the past several years. They may be fine. I really don't know. But Europeans have been making excellent tools for centuries and those skills were brought here.
    Some may like the style of Japanese saws (thin, flimsy, pull cut), I say, if that's your 'thang' fine. But are they "better"? Very unlikely. The difference is in the advertising copy IMHO.

I think the difference is in what you prefer. No ads have told me that I prefer Japanese saws in general...they are smaller for equal sawing power (easier to store and carry around), take less effort to use, and their ergonomics make them easier to use in a variety of sawing positions (try using a Western saw over your head, or to saw at eye level). Sharpening is not a problem with disposable blades, which are generally of very high quality and inexpensive. I see many advantages. They have become quite popular since the seventies and are still increasing in popularity (who would have thought I can buy one at my local hardware store these days). I don't think their popularity was due to advertising at all (I've never seen many ads at all for Jap saws, certainly hardly any ten years ago). Japanese planes, on the other hand, are a different story (less advantages IMO, and they haven't enjoyed the same success for simlar (though opposite) reasons (advantages vs. disadvantages) IMO, not because of lack of advertising.
    As for steel and Japanese chisels, I think Japanese steel is superior to Western steel in several respects (noteably the ability to hold an edge). Once again, I think J chisels have become popular for very good reasons, thoug not as popular as the J saws ($$$ and ease of use probably being a big factor here), not because of advertising.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan DuBoff
    Mine were wrapped in plastic, if I recall correctly.

What type of steel would that make them?
    Alan,

That would be the more expensive Clear Steel. I have an entire set of those. The only problem I've had with them? All you can ever see is the handle of the chisel.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Fine hand paring work, and the need for a really sharp edge....White Paper Steel chisels.

"Unalloyed carbon steel, for making laminated blades. Fine martensitic structure. Excellent sharpenability, comparable to sword steel.
    C = 1.1 - 1.2%, Si = 0.1 - 0.2%, P < 0.025%, S < 0.004% "
    ===============================================
    Harder wood and more pounding ..... Blue Paper Steel chisels.

"Slightly alloyed carbon steel, for making laminated blades. Martensitic structure with a somewhat coarser grain. The embedded carbides make it somewhat tougher and more resistant to wear.
    C = 1.1 - 1.2%, Si = 0.1 - 0.2%, Mn = 0.2 - 0.3%, Cr = 0.2 - 0.5%, W = 1.0 - 1.5%, P < 0.025%, S < 0.004%."
    ==============================================

Really tough pounding ....HSS Japanese chisels.

"HSS Chisels (Koyama Nomi)
    No one has the luxury of always working with perfect wood. Knots, glue joints and other objects embedded in a piece of wood can ruin a freshly sharpened blade and frustrate even an experienced woodworker. These chisels made of Hitachi HSS make such problems a thing of the past. Unlike normal HSS, whose coarse structure limits its potential sharpness, this innovative material has an extremely fine carbide structure which allows it to take and hold a very sharp edge. Very hard (approx. 66 RC) and tough, these chisels are able to withstand the rough handling which is often unavoidable when working on site. They may also be sharpened with a dry grinding machine without compromising the hardness of the steel. The chisels come assembled, sharpened and ready to use."

All quotes are from this German tool company that has some nice info on these steels, as well as other steels, and also sells the steel in stock blanks for those "Do It Yourselfers" .

http://www.dick.biz/

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock
    Alan,

That would be the more expensive Clear Steel. I have an entire set of those. The only problem I've had with them? All you can ever see is the handle of the chisel.
    Somehow I missed this yesterday, but a good way to start a Monday...with a nice smile...

You gotta really watch the edge closely when you sharpen the clear steel edges, really hard to tell when you have a good sharp edge...
    --
    Life is about what your doing today, not what you did yesterday! Seize the day before it sneaks up and seizes you!

Alan - http://www.traditionaltoolworks.com:8080/roller/aland/

Quote Originally Posted by Alan DuBoff
    Somehow I missed this yesterday, but a good way to start a Monday...with a nice smile...

You gotta really watch the edge closely when you sharpen the clear steel edges, really hard to tell when you have a good sharp edge...
    ROFL!!!!!! Glad you pointed that out. I'm working on finding all mine so I can sharpen them.....I've found 3 handles so far. Thanks for a good sense of humor Alan.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.