Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's a good color temp for fluorescent lights for the workshop

What's a good color temp for fluorescent lights for the workshop

I just installed multiple new T-8 fixtures in my workshop (460sf garage). I chose the Philips Neutral 3500K CRI 78 bulbs, as I typically hate fluorescent lighting, and prefer incandescent bulbs.

There's something about the color that's bothering me. I can't put my finger on it. It doesn't look like incandescent light, and just doesn't look right.

What do most of you use in your workshops? I was hoping for something that looks natural, and would aid with matching finishing to my living space (which entirely has halogen down lighting.)
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

5500K - 6500K for me. Full spectrum, high CRI, 4' T8's and they're not cheap. Anything lower makes me feel like I'm working in a cave. (I also use 100 foot candles as a minimum for all work surfaces and machine tops)

Blog Entries
    Incandescent is about 2700K. I have used 300 Watt equivalent CFL's to replace 14 300 watt incandescent bulbs in church fixtures and you couldn't tell the difference other than they took a few seconds to turn on. 3500K is between natural and what you are used to, so I'm not surprised that they aren't right to you.

Frankly in my shop, I have a mix of bulbs.

I have a bunch of 4 foot T8 fixtures. Each fixture has one 3500K and one 5500K bulb. The cooler bulbs look decidedly pink, sitting next to the hotter bulbs, but you don't notice that if you're not staring at the fixtures themselves.

I'm fairly pleased with the result. (The ballasts are another story; I have commented on Big Box ballasts on another thread.) I've had more than one person come into the (basement) workshop for the first time, and look around for the big window they're sure must be there.

Incandescent lamps range in color temperature from 2700-3300K. Traditional home bulbs are normally around 2700K. High output sources like Photofloods and Halogen lights tend to have a color temperature at the upper end of that range. Incandescent lamps have a full range of color output so they are giving light at a broad range of frequencies.

Fluorescent lamps give off light in a narrow range of frequencies but some of the more expensive bulbs can have a broader range due to more expensive phosphors. This can make them appear more natural.

It is a myth that higher temperature fluorescent lamps give off more light. They may seem brighter because the light is "whiter". In the early days of fluorescent lamps, the brighter lamps were only made in higher temperatures but you can get anything you want in T8 lamps today.

Your lamps should be about the same temperature as the halogens in your house. Do they seem warmer (reddish) or cooler (blueish)? Perhaps you don't like the missing colors of the fluorescent lamps?

Alan........I needed a box of T-8 and purchased a box of 25 of the same bulbs you purchased. I hate the color of them. They seem to have a yellow tint. I had some Philips that had a 5500 color temp. I can't wait to get through this box of 3500's so I can get back to the whiter light I am used to having.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Every bulb in my home is the 5500-6500K CFL and I love the white daylight look and will not go back to the lower color temperature bulbs. My shop on the other hand is lit with the old T-12's that are the low color temp bulbs. If I change them I will absolutely replace them with the 6500K T8 bulbs. It took my SO a little while to adjust to the white light through out the house but she has adjusted and isn't even aware of the difference now.
    David B

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Alan........I needed a box of T-8 and purchased a box of 25 of the same bulbs you purchased. I hate the color of them. They seem to have a yellow tint. I had some Philips that had a 5500 color temp. I can't wait to get through this box of 3500's so I can get back to the whiter light I am used to having.
    Yes, Ken. That's it. It's not a warm, pleasing yellow tint, like incandescent bulbs. It's a sickly yellow tinge. More like Mercury vapor lamps.

I'm thinking of switching them out to 5000K Philips bulbs. Their Bright White bulbs have a CRI of 86 instead of 78, which I'm hoping helps. Much higher CRI, and I think I'll have to abandon the warmer colors to get to a more tolerable tone. Should I go higher - to 5500 or 6500?

I'm not sure how that will screw up finishing / color matching. Hopefully not too badly.

I put up 4 additional 4 bulb fixtures yesterday. 3 more to go. Should be a little over 100 foot candles. Can't measure that. I have sound meters, pressure meters, flow meters, humidity meters, thermometers, meter rulers. But no light meters. Funny how that is.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off

Full spectrum, they're like sunlight, most natural light there is. Love them! From outside it appears as if I have sky lights (I don't).

I just converted some 48" two-bulb T-12 fixtures to T-8s and used 5000K Phillips bulbs in the new T-8s. No pun, but it is night and day difference between the old T-12s and the new T-8s. I do not know what the color temp was on the T-12s, but I'll not ever use anything cooler than 5000K.

I can't advise on the finish and color match issue. I always take stuff over near a window or outside to check color. SWMBO says I still mess up.

Tom

As more and more people start using non-incandescent lamps in their houses, the average color temperature is moving up from the traditional normal of 2700K. People have also proven to object less to higher color temperature (cooler) lighting at higher light levels. Most people find 3000K to be unpleasant at 10fc but are happy with 3500K at 20fc. If you get the light level up to 40fc then they are even happy with 5000K.

People that make their living making products look good have spent a bunch of time on this. I've built a bunch of displays where we spent the money on 3500K SoLux lamps for the inventory and 4700K SoLux for the brightly lit area where people look at the item in detail.

I believe 3500K SoLux lights have become the norm for art museums.

Just been swapping out the 3500K bulbs with 5000K bulbs with an 86CRI (GE bulbs) vs the Philips 3500K 78CRI. Still not totally pleased. The light looks a little harsh. Clearly brighter looking, and probably not as annoying as the 3500K.

Has anyone tried this with 4100K Cool White bulbs? Is that a good compromise, or worse in a different way.

There's an old saying that "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" and nowhere is this more true than in the wonderful word of lighting. There are some generalities that can be applied to the selection of a light source such as higher CRI's will provide better color rendering between lamps of similar color temperatures, or higher color temperature light sources create cooler visual environments, but beyond that there are no hard and fast rules. Find something YOU like. It's your shop. Some utilities and most lamp manufacturers have showrooms in major cities where different light sources can be compared. Check with your utility and look in your local phone book to see if you have any manufacturers showrooms in your area. Also, check with lighting distributors to see if any of them have demonstration facilities.
    Last edited by Jack Lindsey; 06-21-2012 at 4:22 PM.

Well, as things progressed, I wound up putting in 4100K, 86CRI bulbs that I found at Lowes. They look much better to me than the 78CRI Philips Bulbs from HD. You really could tell the difference between the 78CRI bulbs and the 86CRI bulbs at the same color temperature.

I couldn't see spending $700 on 98CRI bulbs, though I'm sure I would like them.

Pretty tiring putting up 7 additional fixtures, and moving 5 others. My wife walked into the workshop and said,"Ah... the surface of the sun." 100fc is pretty bright.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg R Bradley View Post
    As more and more people start using non-incandescent lamps in their houses, the average color temperature is moving up from the traditional normal of 2700K. People have also proven to object less to higher color temperature (cooler) lighting at higher light levels. Most people find 3000K to be unpleasant at 10fc but are happy with 3500K at 20fc. If you get the light level up to 40fc then they are even happy with 5000K.

People that make their living making products look good have spent a bunch of time on this. I've built a bunch of displays where we spent the money on 3500K SoLux lamps for the inventory and 4700K SoLux for the brightly lit area where people look at the item in detail.

Your observation about there being a relationship between colour temperature and amount of lumens/footcandles is something I haven't read before.

I replaced 60% of my t12/5000k fluorescents with t8s at 3500 and prefer the "warmer" environment. I have about 200 lumens per square foot (100 lumens per sq.ft. effectively as per Jack Lindsey's guidance, so there is lots of light.

I agree with Jack that colour temperature is mainly subjective and would only suggest that people try a variety of temperatures.

michael

Your observation about there being a relationship between colour temperature and amount of lumens/footcandles is something I haven't read before.

I replaced 60% of my t12/5000k fluorescents with t8s at 3500 and prefer the "warmer" environment. I have about 200 lumens per square foot (100 lumens per sq.ft. effectively as per Jack Lindsey's guidance, so there is lots of light.

I agree with Jack that colour temperature is mainly subjective and would only suggest that people try a variety of temperatures.

michael