Thread: Geiger's Tru-N-Dress wheel dresser

Geiger's Tru-N-Dress wheel dresser

I have a couple questions about the Geiger wheel dresser. I have just recently purchased the One Way Wolverine dresser and liked it a lot (on paper) because the diamond could be rotated as it was used and it could be replaced if necessary. I have tried to use it and I don't like it. I called Hartville tool and since I've had it less than a week they said they would have no problem with return. I have also looked at Geiger's Tru-n-dress dresser and find it interesting, but I just have a couple questions. Is the diamond replaceable? Can the diamond be rotated in this jig like the Wolverine? If the diamond is ever damaged is the jig trash or can you buy a replacement diamond? I have checked the website, didn't see anything.
    Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by Denny Rice; 06-18-2012 at 11:40 PM. Reason: didn't like way I phased question.

Denny - I don't have any answers for you but recommend emailing Don through his website or sending a PM to him here. Don Geiger Don is good people but chances are he is extremely busy as this time of year doing shows.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I tried the Oneway wheel dresser and found it didn't work as well as I expected. It seemed to round over the sides of the wheel a bit and didn't give a smooth and flat surface. I bought Don Geiger's dresser and really like it. It performs very well and gives a smooth and flat surface. Geiger's diamond is relatively large and I haven't worried about wearing it out. I am sure that Don would be happy to sell you a replacement if you need one. My guess is that you will be grinding away many wheels before you need to replace it. The diamond is on a shaft with a thread on it so as you dress your wheel the diamond is rotated so you can dress the wheel gradually and this equalizes the wear on the diamond too.

Cheers,
    David

I know it seems like a lot of money , but take a good look at the CBN wheel. No dressing needed. 1 1/2" wide perfectly flat, and balanced. Oh,and no dust!
    Member Illiana Woodturners

I have a version of Geiger's dressing tool, sold under the "Desmond" name by KBC tools. When I opened it up, it had paperwork that suggested it was made by Geiger. They have a replacement diamond (1-607-031) on the page with the dresser (item 1-607-030) for a little over 30 bucks. The only difference between this tool and the Tru-n-Dress that I can see, is that the Tru-n-Dress is made to be directly applicable to grinders that have Wolverine platforms, so the base is larger to the increased depth of the platform. The one I have requires using the original small footprint grind platform that came with the grinder. I would think looking at the design, they would likely use the same diamond, but an email to Don would be suggested to verify.
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bergstrom View Post
    I know it seems like a lot of money , but take a good look at the CBN wheel. No dressing needed. 1 1/2" wide perfectly flat, and balanced. Oh,and no dust!
    Now that's a great idea!!! Wish I had thought of it.
    I've had my slow speed grinder now for about 3 years and anticipate it lasting another 3 years the way I use it. When I get to that point when ready to replace...CBN will likely be the route I go as well. Hmmm, no more dust...ok, maybe I'll consider CBN a little earlier if I get some cash burning a hole in my pocket.
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

Wish I had known about the CBN wheels before buying the Oneway wheel balancer. Still, time to cut the losses and switch to CBN.

You can use a platform, and a broken section of a diamond concrete cutting blade. Just ease it in and nibble off the high spots.

The CBN wheels are so far above standard grinding wheels, they will become the standard. Kind of like variable speed vs change the belt/pulley. Once you try them, you will never go back.

robo hippy

Thank you guys for all your input. You have answered a lot of my questions. I guess the next thing is to get ahold of Don.
    Last edited by Denny Rice; 06-19-2012 at 3:07 PM.

I agree David. I love the rest of the Wolverine system, but the wheel dresser seems like a tool that was a quick after thought.

For me as someone who will find the least expensive option for a tool is to make it my self. That leads me to by the diamond dressing rods from other machine tool dealers like Victor, Wholesale tool,Enco and many others. They come in many sizes and lengths, styles etc that will allow you to create the perfect dreser for your purpose. I have found them from $6 up to $50 but for the size comparable to the one mentioned in the thread can be had for around $10 and the shaft is soft enough steel that it can be threaded if wanted or just held in your jig with a set screw handle.

Cheap free or homemade for me! (there are exceptions to that rule!)

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    Denny - I don't have any answers for you but recommend emailing Don through his website or sending a PM to him here. Don Geiger Don is good people but chances are he is extremely busy as this time of year doing shows.
    Steve you were right. Don was gone all last week, but he contacted me today and he really seems like a nice guy. I have a new tru-n-dress coming to me care of Don! Thanks Steve! Thanks Don!

I just returned home after spending much of the past 4 weeks on the road (Steve was right) with only occasional minor breaks to re-load.

The diamond is replaceable. The shaft/diamond are an integral unit and can be unscrewed and a new one put into service (5 - 10 minutes). It is a $32 part. I sent out only four in the past 12 months; not bad considering the number that are in use.

The diamond is rotated with each adjustment and, since it is presented at an angle, it is sharpened with each use.

Many thanks for the kind words from SMC members and to Denny for listening to his peers.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by Denny Rice View Post
    I have a couple questions about the Geiger wheel dresser. I have just recently purchased the One Way Wolverine dresser and liked it a lot (on paper) because the diamond could be rotated as it was used and it could be replaced if necessary. I have tried to use it and I don't like it. I called Hartville tool and since I've had it less than a week they said they would have no problem with return. I have also looked at Geiger's Tru-n-dress dresser and find it interesting, but I just have a couple questions. Is the diamond replaceable? Can the diamond be rotated in this jig like the Wolverine? If the diamond is ever damaged is the jig trash or can you buy a replacement diamond? I have checked the website, didn't see anything.
    Thanks for the help.

Don,

Thank you for the speedy shipment of my new tru-n-dress. Just opened it Saturday, I've take out of the package but have not had a chance to use it yet. It really looks like a quality piece that will last a lifetime. Thanks again.