Thread: grinding buffing station

grinding buffing station

I have been wanting to set up a buffing station and Also been thinking of getting a slow speed grinder. Okay I have an older harbor freight lathe that I dont use at all anymore. I was thinking that would make a pretty nice buffing station. I have limited space so I was thinking what if I could mount a grinding wheel to the lathe. I could then run the grinding wheel at whatever speed I wanted. When I need the buffing station I could switch back. I guess my question is does anybody see any reason especially safety wise why this would not work? And if anybody has done this before I could sure use some pointers. Thanks alot in advance
    Grandpa always told me. "A good woodworker is not one that makes no mistakes. A good woodworker is one who knows how to cover up his mistakes."

I see no reason the Buffing station will be a problem. I would probably put something over the lathe bed to keep it clean.

As far as the grinding station... I asume you are thinking for tool sharpeing? If so you need to consider the debris from the grinding wheels and the tools. I had this setupo for a short while and found the metalic debris to be a lot to clean off the lathe.

as far as safety... Normal safety precautions and Common sense should keep you out of trouble...

Cal, try to get hold of vol 4 of 2006 American Woodturner, there is a good articule on how to set up jig for wolverine sharpning jig

if you are a member of AAW, just go online and look the articule up

i had used the wolverine for serveral years and until i used the jig for setup i never got the results that are possible

I am sure a grinding wheel would not be safe on a lathe. All grinders need the protective metal shield around them. They can break and the broken grinding wheel spinning is not a good thing to be flying at your face, no matter the speed. Buffing would be fine, grinder station, NO.
    Seven days without turning makes one weak.

I am with Tim here, except if you use a CBN wheel,which is steel, with the grinding grit electroplated to the wheel rather than a matrix, which can shatter, and should be used, at all times with a full wheel guard.

robo hippy

I've seen instances where guys have had several buffing and grinding wheels on the same shaft. I'll bet a lathe would be perfect for this.

Just a thought, I would be concerned about cross contamination. An errant grit from the grinding wheel in the buff could wreck your finish.

I agree with Tim and Reed. I think a grinding wheel on a lathe is a accident waiting to happen. My brother said a gentleman had grinding wheels and buffing wheels on the same shaft. Luckily he was wearing eye protection but not a shield. His eyes were ok but his nose and lips didn't fair so well according to my brother who took him to the hospital. A CBN wheel might cut it but even then I wouldn't use it on a lathe.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Thanks for all the Replys. Pretty much what i was thinking. was not worried about the buffing station but was concerned about the grinding wheel. Yes I was going to use it for sharpening lathe tools. would not have the grinding wheel and the buffing wheel set up at same time, was thinking i could switch between the two as needed. Just trying to use a piece of machinery that is sitting idle and save a little space too. The old harbor freight lathe runs great but hard to get accesories for it . Has no morse taper on the headstock. just 3/4" 16 spindle. thanks again for all the input.
    Grandpa always told me. "A good woodworker is not one that makes no mistakes. A good woodworker is one who knows how to cover up his mistakes."