Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Roy Underhill DVDs

Yes,there is such an episode. The particular lathe has to be back pedaled,which seemed a bit awkward to me.

Ryan,do you mean in season 3 of the DVD's? I did a show with Roy many years ago,in my musical instrument maker's shop in Williamsburg. Must have been in the 70's. Been so long I can barely remember it,and I have no idea of the content.
    Last edited by george wilson; 06-19-2012 at 11:01 PM.

I think there is another episode with the same lathe where he gets on the far side of it and pedals it forwards while someone else uses it. This would appear to be an ideal use for an apprentice.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    Yes,there is such an episode. The particular lathe has to be back pedaled,which seemed a bit awkward to me.

Ryan,do you mean in season 3 of the DVD's? I did a show with Roy many years ago,in my musical instrument maker's shop in Williamsburg. Must have been in the 70's. Been so long I can barely remember it,and I have no idea of the content.
    George,
    Yes, I am referring to season 3 of the DVDs (1983). The description on the PopularWW site is "The Luthier — George Wilson of Colonial Williamsburg shows Roy what it took to create a violin in the 18th century, from wood to fittings."
    Last edited by Ryan Baker; 06-21-2012 at 5:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by David Posey View Post
    I think there is another episode with the same lathe where he gets on the far side of it and pedals it forwards while someone else uses it. This would appear to be an ideal use for an apprentice.
    Yes, there have been a couple episodes in the last few seasons that have Roy using that lathe. One was episode 3005 with Elia Bizzarri. They called it a Barnes (sp?) Number 3 Treadle lathe -- which treadles backward. That episode is on the web site.

Thanks,Ryan. Now,since I have no memory of making the show,I could be like Ronald Reagan with Alzheimer's and watch my old "movie"and it will be new to me.

One day George will go down to his shop an wonder why he has 15 left sides for an acoustic he's building....just before bending a left side for an acoustic he's building...

I didn't know you did an Episode with Roy. I'll have to see if I can scrounge it up. Maybe I'll just buy the DVDs. I was always impressed that they can do a show like that with no cuts (well, except the ones on Roys hands) and have it consistently come out entertaining and on time.

I really like the single take aspect as well. It was interesting when he talks about how often times he appears winded at the beginning of the show and it's because that was actually his third take of the entire thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Baker View Post
    George,
    Yes, I am referring to season 3 of the DVDs (1983). The description on the PopularWW site is "The Luthier — George Wilson of Colonial Williamsburg shows Roy what it took to create a violin in the 18th century, from wood to fittings."
    Awesome! I just ordered my set. 24 hours of Roy!
    Steve, mostly hand tools. Click on my name above and click on "Visit Homepage" to see my woodworking blog.

Roy Underhill RULES! I'm in!