Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tools for a youngster

If you go with anything neander (saws, planes, chisels, etc.) you need decent workholding for it to be safe. If they are edge tools he also needs a way to sharpen them, or else they are not safe. I think chisels and a block or jack plane are a good place to start. I understand the contractor is helping him build a workbench, so workholding is something to keep in mind. A good bench with a good vise and holdfasts is incredibly useful no matter what kind of woodworking you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    I starg\ted ous using my dad's hand saw, hammer, screw driver, and brace and bit. I don't know what age I was but I carried a hammer around for as long as I can remember. I agree that most of the tools at Home Depot, Lowes, and Harbor Freight would be fine. A ten year old is probably not going to take the best care of things. I eventually moved up to power tools, but I did the most harm to myself with hand tools( but I still survived). The same is still true today.
    I was 15 when I got the scar on my right thumb that I refer to as "don't push on a screwdriver", and 13 when I got a similar one on my left that I refer to as "don't push on a wrench". I definitely hurt myself with hand tools more than power tools, but there's something scary about power tools that leads to a greater respect for the tool. (I also have "don't be the sucker in engineering lab" on my left hand, where I was bumped when measuring broken, elongated metal after an Instron test and jammed an equivalent 1/8" chisel into it, so they aren't all self-caused!)

As the father of two young children, I greatly appreciate what you're doing, Jill, and don't mean anything negative by the above. In all three cases, the scars left appear to be coincidental, none of the injuries required anything more than some bactine and a band-aid. ("Coincidental" since I have injured myself in similar manners many, many times, but these three injuries left scars.)

Regarding tools, I tend to agree that the HD/Lowe's options are probably sufficient. I still use screwdrivers and pliers that I was given almost 30 years ago, albeit more for home projects than woodworking, so don't discount getting decent ones there! As far as chisels go, I am probably in the minority on this - I actively recommend such tools because I think once the kid reaches an age where they can reason and be taught safety, they should have controlled access to sharp things to develop good skills. Cub scouts are trained and can use a pocket knife with supervision by age 8 - by age 10, they are allowed to use bow saws. Boy Scouts, the youngest of which can be 10, can use an axe with training! Withholding sharp tools from a 10 year old sounds like helicopter parenting to me, and I hope I never do it with my own kids. Regarding the "sharp" part, Lie-Nielsen Toolworks has a warning - "Sharp chisels are dangerous and should be handled with care. Dull chisels are even more dangerous and should be sharpened." I believe this firmly, and believe that if a kid is old enough to use an edged tool, it should be properly sharp to do the job, not dull enough to limit cut injuries but significantly increase the risk of stab injuries. Forgive me, I'll step off my soapbox now!

Best of luck with your nephew, and good on you for supporting him! I'll throw out there as well that if you become a contributor to the site, you can enter the freestuff drawing I have going currently for a set of chisels. Assuming you are okay with gifting them to him, of course!

daniel
    Not all chemicals are bad. Without hydrogen or oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.

In addition to a decent set of tools, I suggest that you give your nephew a set of starter projects.

The first one that I would recommend would be a bench hook. Here are some nice instructions on how to build and use them:
    - http://www.popularwoodworking.com/wp...Bench-Hook.pdf
    - http://www.finewoodworking.com/Works....aspx?id=24112

For project number 2, I suggest a bench block. He should use the bench hook as much as possible while building the bench block:
    - http://www.popularwoodworking.com/wo...save-your-back

For project number 3, I recommend a tool tote (build with both the bench hook and the bench block). I really like this one:
    - http://www.handymanclub.com/diy-proj...oting-sawhorse

Wow-tons of great suggestions and I agree with most of them. One thing I would add is a toolbox to keep things organized and together. And you can't go wrong with books and viedos either. Sounds like one lucky kid to me. I hope his interest continues to grow.
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!