Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tools for a youngster

Tools for a youngster

Hi All,

My nephew is turning 10 and is very interested in learning carpentry/woodworking. His mom's general contractor is a great guy and build him a workbench and is going to help him with his first project. I wanted to get him a few well-made tools, a good hammer and the contractor suggested a bevel square and an adjustable T-square as well.

Two quick questions:

1. Any specific types of bevel / T-square? I want this stuff to last, My husband still has the tools his father gave him 40 years ago... Any particular brands I should look for?

2. Any other basic tools come to mind? No saws or power tools, though....

Much appreciated,

JT

Buying tools without the basic knowledge of the tool can be tricky in my opinion.
    I purchased some tools for my 9 year old grandson a while back.
    My suggestion would be to take him with you and let him select some basic tools that will fit him at this time in his life.
    A hammer will be small and not much good for pounding large nails but he will not be able to handle a larger hammer for a few years yet.
    A screw driver that has a handle he feels good with. A good square would be fine however for a 10 year old boy one from Lowe's will do for now.
    Along with learning how to use a tool he needs to learn how to care for a tool.
    I would not buy a young person just starting in woodworking an expensive tool until they have learned to take proper care of the tool.
    Most tools from Home Depot and Lowe's are OK for the to start with.
    I try to buy tools as my grandson is learning to use them.
    Hammer, both types of screw drivers, a file, a square of some sort, possibly a small hand drill and a small hand saw.

You can build a lot of nice things held together with nails. I'd recommend something fairly small -- maybe an 8 oz claw hammer? A wooden handle can be easily repaired/replaced is damaged and customized with some sandpaper and patience. A few nail sets and a putty knife would be handy, too.

My kids are fascinated with an old eggbeater-style hand drill I picked up for five bucks at a flea market. Here, buying new is a bad idea. Old, used but not abused hand drills were in every handyman's tool box in the early 20th century. The neanderthal forum will have a lot more to say on that subject. A couple of screwdrivers and some drill bits (don't forget a countersink!), and he's ready to glue and screw together just about anything.

Opinions may differ, and of course mom has the final say, but ten is probably old enough to responsibly handle chisels and hand saws (with supervision/instruction as needed). Inexpensive japanese pull saws are readily available and work extremely well. They are *very* sharp -- but it's better to nick yourself with a hand saw and learn respect for sharp things than to be either fearful or careless around powered saws. The Marples chisels sold in a set of four at the Home Depot aren't bad, given their price, but I'd recommend getting one or two good chisels than four adequate ones. Search the neanderthal forum for recommendations and while you're there, search for "Scary Sharp" -- an easy and inexpensive way to get/keep the chisels sharp enough to be safe in use. A dull chisel is both useless and dangerous. Another great tool for young hands is a block plane. I was fascinated with them in woodshop in middle school, and they are extremely helpful in trimming and fitting parts together. An inexpensive vintage model (Stanley, Millers Falls, etc.) is definitely the way to go here. Again: consult the neanderthals. They'll be glad to point you in the right direction.

Layout tools are essential. A combination square (get a 6" model in a better brand rather than a disposable 12") is an immensely useful tool to have. I use a wooden marking gauge constantly (several, actually), and inexpensive beech models work just as well as the fancy rosewood/brass models. A small measuring tape is very convenient, but can be rather coarse for woodworking -- especially if abused.
    We few, we happy few, we band of brothers --
    joined in the serious business of keeping our food,
    shelter, clothing and loved ones from combining
    with oxygen.
    -- Kurt Vonnegut

I'd go Craftsman, since they have a waranty, you can get the square replaced WHEN he drops it and it goes out of square. Depending on the clerk at the register, they give you a new hammer if you break the handle, a new screwdriver after you bend it prying a timing chain sprocket loose.

For a saw, I'd say a miterbox/back saw combo. At 10, I could not cut a square edge.

Good luck and support his interest. This world is running out of craftsmen.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Iwamoto View Post
    I'd go Craftsman, since they have a waranty, you can get the square replaced WHEN he drops it and it goes out of square. Depending on the clerk at the register, they give you a new hammer if you break the handle, a new screwdriver after you bend it prying a timing chain sprocket loose.

For a saw, I'd say a miterbox/back saw combo. At 10, I could not cut a square edge.

Good luck and support his interest. This world is running out of craftsmen.
    As the parrent of a large 10 yo:
    Harbor freight has a neat japanese Dovetail like saw. Don't buy it without a vise or clamp
    Like someone else said, kids love egg beater drills.
    A 1/4" nutdriver (or 5/16 or #2 robertson) is better for screws than a "screw driver" true for me and my 10 and 6 yo. Of course buy matching screws.
    If they will take care of it,a nice 12oz vaughn hammer will last a lifetime and is a fine tool for light work.
    Large NN pliers to hold nails when starting.
    Harbor freight makes a nice cheap set of pliers and screwdrivers that probally will get lost as they are used arround the house.
    Sanding block and 80 grit paper allows for custom shaping on small items.
    My son gets a lot of use out of a voltmeter for checking batteries. He has laid claim to one of my Fluke 87s.
    A jig saw is a good first power tool. Pretty hard to sever a finger with it. Drills are fairly safe, but cheap cordless drills are often short lived (not allways- A friend bought one from Sams with the Kawosaki brand. Its lasted 4 years and dozens plus of charges). Drills are hand arroudn the house, Jig Saws for building stuff.
    Get him used to wearing good safety glasses (not goggles)- find a pair that fits his head. expect to pay $7-12. Good brands are crews and A/O safety. Once he starts using power tools these are important.
    Both my kids and I were fasinated with hack saws. Something about being able to cut metal.
    Speed square is not only a square but can be used to draw parallel lines, Also probally the most durable square. An aluminum SS will last a lifetime.

Probally more important is material. Get some kid sized material ripped up. 1/2" plywood can be ripped into board sized pieces.

I'm buying or building my kids a miter box ASAP. Great idea.
    Last edited by Pat Turner; 06-18-2012 at 9:29 AM. Reason: A few more thoughts

I was using a 16 ounce hammer when I was 10. It always wore my arm out pretty quickly, but it seemed like the "kid size" hammers were useless.

My parents allowed me to use a power drill. I also was allowed to use a small benchtop bandsaw and a jigsaw. It was a few years later (probably around 13 or 14) when I was allowed to use the circular saw (which I promptly mounted upside down on a sheet of plywood to make a table saw).

Bottom line is that this is going to vary a great deal based on the kid. The more responsibility and care he shows, the more "dangerous" of the tools he can be allowed to use. Also of great importance is proper supervision at first (until he "proves" himself) and proper instruction on safe and proper use of the tools.

Also, it is probably a good idea to require that he only use the more dangerous stuff (even after direct supervision is no longer required) when a driving age adult is home just in case an injury needing medical attention does occur.

Here's a good thread on a similar topic: Neander Kids Tools.

A good recommendation from that thread was getting him a Razor Saw. Very inexpensive, but very good quality. The general purpose saw and the aluminum miter box would be very handy, and is a "real" tool. Steer clear of the "kids first tool sets" that you'll find.
    We few, we happy few, we band of brothers --
    joined in the serious business of keeping our food,
    shelter, clothing and loved ones from combining
    with oxygen.
    -- Kurt Vonnegut

The multifunction tools, like the Fein and it's clones are super handy and super safe.
    Unlike other power tools/saws, you really have to work hard at it to cause any injury.
    The blade design and short stroke make cutting skin next to impossible.
    A simple slip of the tool isn't anywhere near enough to cause any injury.

Startw ith tools then get quality after he sticks with it

Hand saw or jigsaw
    12V or corded drill
    Kreg jig (with drill bit, kreg screws, clamp) and a kreg DVD or two
    some pine or other wood from a box store
    12' Tape measure
    Tool box
    sand paper
    block plane
    chisel or two
    set of screwdrivers
    woodglue
    pencils and paper

You could build a ton with that - from a birdhouse to a table to skys the limit
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Guys,

This is exactly what I was looking for -- can't thank you enough. And yes, I definitely wanted to avoid the kid's tool set gear. And he's a good size 10 year old.

And in all honesty, I never wandered by the Neanderthal's part of the forum - so now I know.

I think the nice thing is that if I start with some basic, solid tools I can periodically add to his set as the need arises and his skills improve.

He's been glued to his mom's contractor for years, he will be thrilled.

Thanks again for the detailed input!

JT

I bought some kids tool sets and reviewed them on our blog before Christmas last year. www.carbideprocessors.com

Most were junk. A couple I thought were dangerous. (A crooked hammer with the head pinned on.)

I cruised the specials at Home Depot. I went with full size tools because that is what I used as a kid.

Don't forget plenty of nails and scrap lumber.

Tom
    I'm a Creeker, yes I m.
    I fries my bacon in a wooden pan.

Personally, as nice a guy as the contractor is, I wouldn't stock any tools for a 10-yr old unless there's a permanent mentor in place like Dad or Mom.

A better 'tool' for a 10-yr old might be some kind of erector set or kit that can be completed with few tools that mom can help with.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Personally, as nice a guy as the contractor is, I wouldn't stock any tools for a 10-yr old unless there's a permanent mentor in place like Dad or Mom.

A better 'tool' for a 10-yr old might be some kind of erector set or kit that can be completed with few tools that mom can help with.
    With all due respect, not every kid has a dad. The contractor lives two doors down and while Mom can supervise, she knows nothing about the process. As I noted the contractor friend has offered to directly mentor the boy -- note one of his first suggestions was for a bevel T to teach him "the right way".

Their entire house is filled with his erector set creations. He expressed an interest in building something "real". None of the adults who know the child in question think this was an outlandish approach.

I'm sorry, Jill. I didn't mean to imply anything offensive. Reading my post back, I can see it can be interpretted like I'm trying to be superior. I'm sorry; I didn't mean that and I didn't mean to step over the line.

I guess what I'm trying to say is the obvious: just be sure he's got safety supervision during those times he may wish to work in the absence of the mentor.

Sorry, again.
    I'm a parent too, and I appreciate what yr doing.
    - p

I started out using my dad's hand saw, hammer, screw driver, and brace and bit. I don't know what age I was but I carried a hammer around for as long as I can remember. I agree that most of the tools at Home Depot, Lowes, and Harbor Freight would be fine. A ten year old is probably not going to take the best care of things. I eventually moved up to power tools, but I did the most harm to myself with hand tools( but I still survived). The same is still true today.
    Last edited by Cary Falk; 06-19-2012 at 3:58 PM.