Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Big shallow walnut bowl

Beautiful wood is often at its best without distracting details. I would say this one fits the bill perfectly. Very pretty Kathy.

Thanks for the additional comments guys!
    Quote Originally Posted by paul vechart View Post
    Very nice bowl Kathy...was it green wood and turned in one session.
    Paul, yes it was turned green to finish.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Canfield View Post
    That is a nice job using all your capacity. I could not see the mount and was curious what you used to mount the rough blank, remount, and then finishing the bottom. I am presently working on my demo for SWAT in August on "Bowl Turning for Beginners" and looking at alternate methods that others are using to mention, especially when you are fully utilizing your lathe swing.
    Thomas, I almost always start between centers. I turn a tenon and then turn the outside to finish, then I reverse it using a chuck (usually using 50mm jaws) and turn the inside to finish. I then use a jam chuck with some double sided tape with support from the tailstock to turn off the tenon and finish the bottom. The double sided tape gives enough hold so I can turn the bottom to just a tiny nub, then sand the bottom, then with very light cuts at a slower speed, I can turn off the nub and complete the sanding. The double sided tape will usually leave some adhesive behind, but a little acetone on a paper towel will take it right off.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Thomas, I almost always start between centers. I turn a tenon and then turn the outside to finish, then I reverse it using a chuck (usually using 50mm jaws) and turn the inside to finish. I then use a jam chuck with some double sided tape with support from the tailstock to turn off the tenon and finish the bottom. The double sided tape gives enough hold so I can turn the bottom to just a tiny nub, then sand the bottom, then with very light cuts at a slower speed, I can turn off the nub and complete the sanding. The double sided tape will usually leave some adhesive behind, but a little acetone on a paper towel will take it right off.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Kathy. The use of double stick tape is a new trick for me. I just use some cheap rubber shelf liner with the jam chuck to turn tenon down to a small spindle and cut it with flush cut saw and hand sand the remaining nub. You must get a pretty good fit between the jam and bottom to have contact area for the tape since there is little give to the tape. The tape does give the ability to hold bowl to turn off the nub. Nice new technique to try.