Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help with determining a math formula

Need help with determining a math formula

Anyone know how to quickly determine the formula to produce the following values?

This table is a list of acreage sizes and appraised taxable values. As the acreage sizes increase, the $tax/acre decreases. There must be some scaling factor involved.

Code:
    	Acres		Taxable Value	        Tax/Acre 
    	1.536		40,460			26,341 
    	1.582		41,450			26,201 
    	2.037		52,020			25,537 
    	2.623		64,530			24,601 							
    	2.529		62,620			24,760	
    	2.592		63,920			24,660	
    	3.73		87,660			23,501	 
    	7.17		151,570			21,139	 
    	11.423          215,670                 18,888	 
    	4.277		98,880			23,119	 
    	3.251		77,440			23,820	 
    	3.133		74,880			23,900	
    	3.41		80,890			23,721	
    	1.781		46,320			26,007 
    	1.617		42,400			26,221 
    	1.602		42,040			26,242
    Thanks! Todd
    Last edited by Todd Burch; 06-16-2012 at 5:36 PM. Reason: Second value of Tax/Acre of 26,257 was wrong. Should be 26,201. Good catch Michael!

Sorry, I think I got sidetracked... will look at this again...
    Last edited by Jerrimy Snook; 06-16-2012 at 2:05 PM.
    I make dirt out of woodworking tools.

The math formula is just Taxable Value divided by the Acres. However, the taxable value is based on more than just the acreage, it includes buildings, location, other factors.

Does not appear to be strictly a function of the size of the plot

Hi Stan. Thanks for stepping in.

These values are only property values with no improvements. All are in the same neighborhood. First year to be taxed.

As you can see, the greater the size property, the lower the rate per acre.

Pretend I didn't present the taxable value. That leaves the problem of figuring out a formula for the rate based on the size of property. This is the formula I am trying to determine. The size and rate determine the taxable value - it isn't figured the other way.

Are you good with excel? You can plot the data, then have it do a best fit curve. I could do it later... just don't have time at the moment.

Looking at the data I notice that the second item appears to have an incorrect tax per acre value. dividing 41450 by 1.582 does not equal 26257. All the rest work out correctly but I believe that 26257 should be 26201? Something I just noticed putting it into Excel and doing my own division. After that I tried to figure a linear curve fit similar to calculating engineering units from a transducers voltage output (MX+B). That didn't work so looking at sorted values and dividing a tax per acre by the next highest tax per acre value (eliminating the second value) gives a unequal percent increment increase.
    As the acre size goes up the percent increase may go up or it may go down. So considering that I flunked high school algebra, not really having a clue to whats going on here so I really shouldn't be messing with stuff like this, perhaps some kind of polynomial curve fit might get you close?
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Todd,

It's not a linear relationship--so there are probably steps involved, which you won't be able to accurately find from this small data set. It would be best to contact the taxing authority for a tax schedule. As long as you stay in the range of 1.5 to 11.5 acres, you can use a quadratic equation to estimate the tax per acre:

tax= ($61.847 * acres^2) - ($1523.5 * acres) + $28369

A quadratic fit is unreliable outside of the range of data it was fit to as it is a parablola--at some point you will pass the apex and get nonsense values. However, this fit is very, very good for the range of data you provided--it explains about 99 percent of the variation in the values. If I had to guess, there's probably a step right at 7 acres--that is the only value that is not spot on the quadratic regression line.

A linear fit will continue to give a lower tax per acre as the acreage increases, but the fit gets progressively worse at the small and large ends because the relationship isn't linear.

Probably isn't what you're looking for, but might help. if you're trying to figure out what the tax/acre for a certain size property will be.

Dale.
    "Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves"-Albert Einstein

Thanks to all who have responded to this.

I really don't know Excel that well, but I do have it, and I cranked it up and plugged my numbers in and entered a few formulas.

Yes, Michael, you are correct - I had a manual math error. Excel showed it straight away. I edited my post above and gave you credit.

Here's what I have so far, sorted on acres, ascending, echoing y'alls comments and input.

Microsoft Excel002.png

Columns E, F & G are read from the bottom up.

I also entered a formula, illustrating Michael's point about the Tax Rate / Acre percent going up or down (and also a column for the tax rate itself going up or down). The tax rate is supposed to go up the smaller the property one owns. The spreadsheet shows this is not happening for the 2nd entry.

Dale - I'm still absorbing your input. I might have to try my hand at a chart as well.

Thanks all, so far!

Todd
    Last edited by Todd Burch; 06-16-2012 at 6:39 PM.

What are you trying to do?

I'm preparing to protest my taxes. My objective is to show unequal and nonuniform taxation. All these properties are in my (new) subdivision, and the assessed values per acre for these properties are DOUBLE surrounding properties. Based on these properties, I'm trying to determine a tax rate schedule and understand the rational used. I think it might be easier to call and just ask.

FWIW, I charted the Tax Rate/Acre % Change. It's all over the board. Excel is kinda cool!
    Attached Images Attached Images

But wouldn't tax be based on value, not acreage? A 10 acre lot between railroad tracks and the town dump is probably worth less than a 2 on a golf course. And a lot 2x the size of the one next door isn't automatically worth 2x as much.
    Last edited by Matt Meiser; 06-16-2012 at 9:31 PM.

Todd,

I think Matt is correct. It's based on "accessed value" for taxes. As Matt indicated the value can vary based on location etc. Keep in mind, however, there is absolutley no connection between tax accessed value and market value. The market value can and often does fluctuate with fluctuations in the local real estate market while the accessed tax value can remain the same.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

In Texas, the appraisal district can appraise via different methods. Mass Appraisal is the most common. In our case, someone, (and my district would not disclose who), gave the tax district a list of the sales prices of all the properties sold in my subdivision, so they decided to use Market Value appraisal in our case.

That's why I am pursuing an Equity appeal, not an appeal based on market value. My property is assessed at roughly 164% of equivalent neighboring subdivision properties - and there isn't anywhere near 164% of differences.

I guess that's essentially what I am protesting - the value they are assessing per acre. It's not uniform and equal. In Texas, the law says we can do that.

Todd,

If you want to see why it's not linear, use a 'scatter plot' with no lines, then right click on one of the dots and select 'add trendline', pick polynomial and leave the power set at 2 (higher powers won't help in this case). check the boxes for display equation and show r-squared. You'll see how well it fits.

One other way to look at this which might shed some light on things is to look at the asessed values ordered by time for acreage that are similar in size. If you find that newer assessments (or more recent sales) come in at a lower value (ignoring the possibility of other factors), that would be evidence that you got screwed because no one took (perhaps) falling property values into account and just used the value of the house at the time you bought it or the last assessment.
    "Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves"-Albert Einstein

I think I would go with linear for the fit. Unless I have major transcription errors, I get an r-value of 0.997. With a value like that, I would go with a regression fit.

Cheers,

Chris
    If you only took one trip to the hardware store, you didn't do it right.