Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A little Rainbow Poplar form

A very nice and warm piece. I wouldn't change a thing either.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

I like this form quite a bit, and poplar is something I haven't worked with yet in turning. Or flatwork for that matter.

Thanks guys!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Hensley View Post
    Kathy don't fret over this one, it's very nice as is. I like the shape and if it were mine I suspect I couldn't resist doing some transparent coloring to it.
    Bill, I thought about using just a hint of dye, but thought the existing colors in the wood might just get muddied up so I left it as is.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Kathy, I am not sure I would change anything with this one. The form works very well, and the poplar adds some nice color to it. Poplar is pretty common here, and notorious for moving badly while drying - particularly flat lumber. Was this piece dry?
    John, this piece was green. I kept spraying it down with a soap and water mixture to help keep the outside from drying too fast (the humidity has been running about 7-8%, so combine that with the heat and a little breeze and the moisture gets sucked out pretty darned fast.). The soap mixture works better than just plain water, I'm thinking the soap must form a slight film on the surface. I have the piece wrapped on the outside with the opening exposed to allow the inside to dry out. I did end up with a small crack in the neck area, but since being wrapped, it has closed up and all but disappeared. No movement yet, but it's early days.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.