Thread: powermatic WOW !!!

Blog Entries

Smile powermatic WOW !!!

I HAD TO VISIT MY LOCAL WOODCRAFT STORE TODAY. THEY WERE ASSEMBELING THE NEW POWERMATIC MONSTER LATHE. DIFFENITLY A MACHINE FOR THE PROS. MAKES MY 14 in JET LOOK LIKE A MINATURE. ED

Looks like a very nice lathe. Price is a little steep,there are a lot of choices around that price. It will be interesting to see what happens!

That is one big stout looking lathe but is pricey. If I were spending that kind of money I would deck out a Robust.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Blog Entries
    IMG_0753.jpgIMG_0756.JPGIMG_0758.jpg

Bernie, if you saw the 2 side by side, you may re-consider. The Robust is absolutely a beauty for sure but the new PM has so many more features and is a giant in comparison. I saw both at the AAW event and I'd have to say, they are the 2 top lathes out there IMHO. I think it's important to remember that PM directly employ's over 200 people here in the USA so they are definitely contributing to our economy. Here's a few pics.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

I was wondering if the built in vacuum system works when the lathe is stopped? I'm sure one would adapt to always bringing the tail stock up against the work piece before stopping the machine, but it doesn't seem like that great of feature if it only works when the lathe is spinning. How do others feel about a vacuum system that only works while the lathe is rotating? (if this is how this feature works)

Bill

I've very seriously been looking at all of the comparisons between lathes lately as I know for certain that i will be purchasing one by mid year 2013. my bugget for the lathe will afford me any one of the top lathes currently on the market, however I am looking for what I believe will best suit my own requirements. I do not need a sliding headstock to be able to turn from the end of the lathe as that would not work for me in my shop placement of the lathe, what I do want though is to be able to turn larger pieces from the headstock end of the lathe this would be an infrequent occurance so even if I was to be able to spin the head of the lathe around and turn off of the headstock end with the extension bed mounted lower this would work for me. SO MY QUESTION IS ..... Is the head of the new Powermatic 4224 able to be spun around ? so that the spindle faces outboard ?

John

Wow! That is a monster and then some Bill!! John...some really good qualifications for a lathe...Ed...why are you yelling?
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

That is a sweet looking machine. Nice indexing attachment too, kinda wish they would make one for the PM 3520B. The bar with the lights is also a nice touch. Hard to look at with the price tag attached though, I'm inclined to agree with some of the other's here, with that big of a swing one questions why they didn't opt for a 5hp motor, especially since they are touting it outboard capabilities as well. It's a beautiful machine, and powermatic is a great company, I'm glad they contribute to our economy, I sure hope they sell some of these things so those folks continue to have jobs!
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

Blog Entries
    jim, i only have enough money for a can of gold paint. ed