Thread: Funny Honey

Funny Honey

This was almost to much fun. Honey Locust----end grain----three piths----harder than a woodpeckers lips.
    Thought you folks might enjoy a pic----- fresh off the lathe today----no finish just wiped down with some homebrew oil.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

harder than a woodpeckers lips.
    I never cease to be amazed at how well some folks can use their imagination when describing something. Anyway, since you spun this one wet, just imagine how challenging the hardness would be had you dried it and twice turned. That's a big turning. You must have had the old boring bar shaking.

Gary nice piece. The honey locust I have turned is pretty nice turning wet but when dry you might as well mount a chunk of concrete because I think at times it turns easier. lol
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

This will be the only HF----maybe a couple of bowls but the rest is headed to the firewood pile.
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

That's a monster Gary!! is the top blown out or is that the pic? You do a great job on these big guys!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Max View Post
    This will be the only HF----maybe a couple of bowls but the rest is headed to the firewood pile.

Kind of tells me everything I ever need to know about turning Honey Locust!! Nice vase though!!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I admire your toughness to do that in locust! I just found a black locust roughout from last summer that was in the back of my collection and re-turned it. It was less of a bear than I remembered from the last dry locust I turned, but the shavings coming off the gouge were so hot they were burning my hand. You must keep your tools nice and sharp!