Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No plattertudes expected...

No plattertudes expected...

I hang around here every day, but can't seem to find a lot of quality time in the shop. This project has been in the works for quite a few months. I was "inspired" by (ie: I tried to copy) a John Keeton platter from last year. It was the first "big" project I tried on my 1642 (although it's only about 10" dia).

I had fun with it, but got real frustrated with my sanding attempts - always ended up with visible marks the minute I put any kind of oil/finish on it. An opportunity came up to drive by John's shop at the end of April, and he graciously showed me his sanding technique (which starts with quality paper... ). Life goes on, I've managed to sneak in a sanding here, a layer of finish there, but I finally decided to put this one to rest. I've got it's mirror image soul mate waiting for it's turn on the lathe.

Finished with WTF, sanded a bazillion times before and after, and buffed. How's my signature on the back?

Comments welcome; what embellishments might have looked good on this (or the next: walnut w/ maple wave band)?

And thanks again, John. For the help AND the "inspiration"!

platter1.jpgPlatter2.jpg

(Need more practice photographing big things too...)
    Steve \o/
    Dynamite With A Laser Beam LLC
    Epilog Helix 75W/Epilog Fusion Edge 80W and Jet 1642-EVS2

Looks like success to me! It's a great looking piece and from what I can tell, you're spot on with the finish. Really, really nice it is!

3. Very nice Steve............looks like you laser engraved the signature on the back.........nice touch!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

That looks very nice to me! Looks like some very clean joint lines as well. So do you own a laser or was that a job that was "farmed out".
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Steve, I think it's a great looking platter. I love the design.

When cutting compound curves on matching boards, you usually end up with a little gap somewhere due to the kerf of the saw blade. I have solved this by using a piece of veneer the same thickness as the blade and gluing it between the boards. Makes them match back up perfectly. A nice piece of black can help define the line.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Please see personal profile for website info.

Looks great Steve! Excellent job on the joints and I really like your wood choices.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Hackler View Post
    So do you own a laser or was that a job that was "farmed out".
    My visit to John coincided to a road trip to pick up a used laser. So it's one more thing to distract me from the sawdust side of the wall...
    Steve \o/

Quote Originally Posted by John Beaver View Post
    a little gap somewhere due to the kerf of the saw blade. I have solved this by using a piece of veneer the same thickness as the blade and gluing it between the boards.
    An excellent tip from the master - thanks, John!
    Steve \o/

Excellent work, Steve!!! Good, clean glue up, too. Very nice work on getting the radius right on the lasered signature - not easy an easy task from what I have seen done on my platters. Looks like you are putting the Epilog to good use.

Great piece Steve. Joints look good and nice finish.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Looks really nice

great looking platter and you won that battle as it looks real sharp.

You should be doing those every week Steve...this one is fantastic!!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Nicely done Steve. You guys and your lasers!! And I thought they were just for hollowing.
    I have doing one of these on my bucket list of stuff to try, nice suggestion from John B on the veneer strip too!
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

Steve I hope you bring that tomorrow. That thing rocks...+1 on you doing one a week.