Thread: AAW symposium 2012 w/ pics.

Blog Entries

AAW symposium 2012 w/ pics.

WOW what a fantastic event. The talent there was out of this world and there are a few new tools that are real game changers for sure. I also have to say, Malcolm Tibbetts, Bruce Campbell and several other extremely talented legends in the turning world took me under their wing and walked the entire gallery discussing every aspect of almost every piece there teaching me something new at every step. I can't tell you how much I appreciate the knowledge they shared with me. When they took several pieces from the gallery to do a critique on them, I was the guy that got to carry every piece to the table for discussion. This allowed me a very close look at the top pieces of the show. The people here were the nicest crowd of wood workers you could ever ask to meet. The event was incredibly well organized and really brought out the best of the best. There were turnings larger than a basket ball turned to 1/16" thick.
    On to the tools, First I have to say, the new PM4224b is by far the most incredible lathe I've ever seen. It has a built in vacuum clamp, turn away extended bed(the only option) an amazing 2 light system, sliding head stock, 94 point indexing, slows to40 rpms and weighs in over 1000lbs. From the Robust camp, a new sit down lathe that is extremely well thought out, sliding head stock, adjustable legs and a big motor. So If a person is in a wheel chair or just wants to sit & turn, they can enjoy turning every bit as much as someone standing in front of the lathe. I commend them for creating this unit. There's also a new steady rest that I'll be ordering asap, it offers the ability to open up the circle w/o removing the entire unit to access your project, plus you can position the wheels almost any where you want on your project. You also gave the ability to order a new ring if you go bigger with your lathe. The base can be adjusted to fit almost any lathe bed. I have their name at home, I'll update this later with more pics and info. I'll add pics of the amazing art work later. After I left the event I flew to Reno to plan a wine cellar. As part of the payment for the cellar, I received a car. I drove about 1000 miles straight, got home, slept for an hour then wet to work a full day. Came back to a ton of work so I'm just now getting time to get all the pics together. All I can say is, The people, the tools, the exhibitors and those that planned this event are all amazing people. I had the time of my life. I can't thank the people at Powermatic, Malcolm, Bruce and everyone that made this such an enjoyable event, enough for their kindness and generosity. What an incredible time I had. Again, more pics soon.

IMG_0758.jpgIMG_0756.JPGIMG_0960.JPGIMG_0765.JPG
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Bill, glad you had a good time! Nice pics - the steady looks like a Carter product from the color and logo. Neat design.

Looking forward to additional pics - and, a list of the goodies you bought while there!

Big question bout that PM lathe... does that battery come with it? Or are they just jump starting it... Looks nice but if I had the dough, I'd still go with the robust. The Carter steady is another thing entirely. That is the best designed (Sorry Jeff!) steady I have seen yet and I would love to know the price on that one...
    David DeCristoforo

Blog Entries
    That converts the 3 phase to single phase I believe so the lathe can be powered either way. I was surprised that the Robust AB was much smaller than the PM. Still a beautiful and very well built lathe. The PM is priced about the same as the AB though. Here's a shot of the turn away tail stock which will also move up and down for off center turning. Missing in the picture is another bed rest that sits on that one. Here's another pic of the Carted steady rest. I also got to try their hollowing system for myself. It works fantastic. I'll be ordering one soon. In this pic you can see how it can be adjusted to any lathe bed and how the wheels can be repositioned. Defintiely a fantastic way to make a SR. I also have to mention that the guys at Carter were just wonderful people to chat with, we had a lot of fun. They are pretty excited about the SR themselves. A very well thought out device and light weight.

IMG_0753.jpgIMG_0771.JPG
    Last edited by John Keeton; 06-14-2012 at 9:38 PM.

Bill - glad to hear that you had lots of fun at the event! Always great when you can spent time in person with folks you normally have to email with!! Looking forward to seeing more photos - when you get the time!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

From the price the venue was charging for 220 power I think Powermatic was hoping to power the lathe with the batteries. Unfortunately those prices kept a few vendors away.

The steady rest is indeed by Carter and is very well thought out and designed. It is made so one ring works for a 20" swing and below, and can be fitted on almost any lathe without adapters. The adjustability and clam-shell design are very smart. It is not as rigid as some on the market but I think it will work well, and the price is competitive.

I got to join Bill in handling the pieces for the critique session, and it was fun being able to hold the pieces the panel was reviewing. We definitely had the best seats in the house.

Bill, seeing your new piece in person was also a treat - I was able to break it down and understand the technique much better. I can't wait to see the next one.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Please see personal profile for website info.

Blog Entries
    That was great John. John & I had a fantastic time and I must say, being able to get such a close look at the work done by these selected artists was a real treat. It was also interesting to listen to the 3 person panel and what they were looking for. I got an incredible education on our art form from them and many others. Got to meet David Elsworth as well, what a nice man he is. I have to make a couple ashtrays this weekend. One is a gift for a woman to give her husband and the other is for a donation for a wounded Warrior raffle prize. I hope it raises lots of money. Then I want to get back to work on the big vessel and another design I was inspired to create after going to the event. I'll post the art I took pictures of later today. Right now I have to get some work done around here.

Thanks for posting, Bill.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Quote Originally Posted by David DeCristoforo View Post
    The Carter steady is another thing entirely. That is the best designed (Sorry Jeff!) steady I have seen yet and I would love to know the price on that one...
    I talked to the rep there and he informed me the steady will be sold for around $350ish. It is already on order by Woodcraft, craft Supplies, etc. He couldn't tell me when they will be out for purchase though.

Thanks for sharing Bill. Nice pic's.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Yes, thanks for the photos of the Carter rest in particular. The lathe I could do without seeing until I pay off my 3520B I bought...In January.

Bill
    Thanks for the reveiw great pics of both the PM and the Carter SR. Now I need to save my pennies for another have to have item to go with my hollow roller.Did you see anything like a swan neck tool to go with the hollow roller? I had heard that one was comming?
    Thanks
    Tim

Blog Entries
    I did see quite a few swan necks but I didn't get any info, sorry about that. Overall I have to say, all the mfg's displaying there seemed to have a focus on quality and innovation. It's nice to see an industry that is focused on quality instead of cramming out a bunch of crap. It's probably due to us turners knowing the difference and not accepting mfg's into our world that want to take shortcuts. It's important that we all don't settle for cheap junk tools or we could someday see a shift in that direction. For now though, we have nothing to worry about. Quality was abundant.
    I'll try to post the [pics of the wonderful art I took pics of today. I just came back to work backed up out the doors here.

The Carter SR indeed looks light, which is nice for handling. I am the only one that thinks it might look a little TOO light, like a bit flimsy? Seems it would be subject to flex. Hard to judge from just photos.

Blog Entries
    I got to see it in use at the event. It was quite solid to my surprise. I think it's due to it having a boxed in structure once everything is positioned & tight.