Thread: Walnut Bowls with White Gold and Copper Pearl-Ex in the pores.

Walnut Bowls with White Gold and Copper Pearl-Ex in the pores.

Simple walnut bowls, with Pearl-Ex rubbed into the pores. The 3" x 9" and has copper Pearl-Ex rubbed into the pores. The second has white gold which is dichromic ( looks white from one angle but changes to a gold tint when angle of light changes. The second is about 8" x 2 1/2". The Pearl-Ex is mixed with paste wax and rubbed into the pores with a paper towel. Then lightly rubbed with #0000 steel wool. Both these bowls are from the same tree. Comments and critiques always welcome.
    IMG_1231.jpgIMG_1237.jpgIMG_1248.jpgIMG_1250.jpg
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Bob, that certainly is an interesting look! Great bowl, too. Is the Pearl-ex the same as mica powder?

Yes, John it is a mica powder. It is very fine grain wise. Women are using it as a cheap eye mackup and is extensively used in card making and scrap booking. It is fine enough to spray through an airbrush if not mixed too heavily. It comes in metallics, relectives, and dichromics.

Neat looking bowl Bob! Very pleasing form and I like the effect of the pearl-ex, especially the last pic.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Thanks, Bob. Just realized there are two bowls - you stated that, but I just read right past it! I like the foot/base on the second one better.

Pretty cool effect! Really like the white gold on Walnut!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I like it Bob!! I have tons of Pearl-ex at home for pen casting. It is getting really expensive!! Lot's of us are converting to Coastal scents mica powder, 3x the amount for the same cost. For casting, it doesn't have the quite "Bang" that Pearl-ex does, so I mix the two for the desired effect...75% Mica, 25% Pearl-ex. It also mixes well with epoxy for filling.
    JK, I have extras of all the colors so if you want to have a lash at it, just say the word!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Burr View Post
    I like it Bob!! I have tons of Pearl-ex at home for pen casting. It is getting really expensive!! Lot's of us are converting to Coastal scents mica powder, 3x the amount for the same cost. For casting, it doesn't have the quite "Bang" that Pearl-ex does, so I mix the two for the desired effect...75% Mica, 25% Pearl-ex. It also mixes well with epoxy for filling.
    JK, I have extras of all the colors so if you want to have a lash at it, just say the word!
    Alan Trout.gets his Pearl-Ex by the pound. He told me it is a lot cheaper that way alao. His castings are done with it.

Wow! It really is. Looks like about $100 for 5lbs...not bad!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Burr View Post
    Wow! It really is. Looks like about $100 for 5lbs...not bad!
    Jim I found it here starting at $34.50 / pound. Some as much as $82.50 / pound.
    http://www.clayfactory.net/jacquard/pearlexL.html

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bergstrom View Post
    Jim I found it here starting at $34.50 / pound. Some as much as $82.50 / pound.
    http://www.clayfactory.net/jacquard/pearlexL.html
    Yikes!!! I went to the Jacquard website and looked under the Bulk tab...It may be worth seeing if Costal scents mica powder in bulk to.

Pretty cool Bob, breaks away from the norm nicely for that finish. Voice in my head resisting to log yet another thing worth investigating further!
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!