Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Monster laser replacement

Ron, this thread is four years old and I don't think Ed is active on the creek.

Hi Mike,
    I see this thread is a few years old but here are three pics of how I use my Monster Laser.
    1. and 2. Made a little bracket for the laser to fit on the McNaughton coring handle. I used this last week and WOW it works perfectly to STEER the cutting tip and prevent making a funnel.

3. Showing the laser dot on the hollowing set up. Note: I work in a very tight corner with the Nova DVR XP on a shelf close to the wall. I do not have enough room for the full length laser arm to swing into the wall. So, I repositioned the laser diode half way along the arm by drilling a hole to accept it, with a set screw. To get a nice small dot I made sure the actual hole for the light to show through is the same as the original one at the end of the arm. You can see the dot on the cutter tip.

The Laser is fantastic. Some owners complain about the battery box letting the battery get loose. The solution was to tape a small piece of cardboard inside the box cover to keep the battery pressed in place.
    I hope that is helpful, just ask if you need more info.
    Peter F

the pictures loaded in reverse order but you get the point, I am sure.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks Peter, interesting how you have adapted the Monster to the McNaughton. I have the McNaughton laser accessory. The thing about coring on my lathe is that there is so much vibration that it makes the laser useless while actually coring. I use the laser to see "where I am" when I stop the lathe, turn on the laser and re-insert the blade. Thanks.