Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Copper Penny Floor

Copper Penny Floor

I love this idea, so just thought I'd share.

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn...type=1&theater

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

That is really nice. I need to file that in the back of my mind.

Thanks,
    Paul

What a great idea.

This is a really cool concept. I wonder what type of resin would work that doesn't yellow from UV and doesn't scratch too much? I know my parents had some some sort of resin countertops and floors in their kitchen and they yellowed badly.

Brian,

Maybe something like this. http://carbonsales.com/Clear-Coat-Ep...2-gal-Kit.html I've worked with some UV stable clear coat products but only in small scale applications. Working time with this product is around an hour. Most casting resins are UV stable but I'm not sure how casting resin would work for a floor.

It seems the penny flooring would be pretty forgiving of underlying subfloor imperfections, or am I completely wrong in my thinking (as would be the norm)?

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    Bella Terra

I suspect if you didn't have a solid enough subfloor the resin could crack, or maybe it is more flexible than I think?

Good point. So now we're looking for a clear, UV stable, somewhat flexible resin. Maybe some flooring folks will contribute a bit of wisdom.

Bella Terra

most epoxies don't stick to copper or dirty oily things. so there may be some issues. I think after you glue them down and fill the gaps a more standard floor finish on top of it should give the protection.
    Steve knight
    cnc routing

I like the look.

But is anyone else weirded-out by the Facebook tag of "homesteading / survivalism" on this? I mean you followed the instructions and went to the BIg Box store to buy high-industrial process resin, to encapsulate currency issued by and stamped with symbols of the central government, and you think you're going off the grid?!? I guess the term is completely meaningless.

Quote Originally Posted by John Aspinall View Post
    I like the look.

But is anyone else weirded-out by the Facebook tag of "homesteading / survivalism" on this? I mean you followed the instructions and went to the BIg Box store to buy high-industrial process resin, to encapsulate currency issued by and stamped with symbols of the central government, and you think you're going off the grid?!? I guess the term is completely meaningless.
    Can't argue with you on this one John, but they do post some good ideas from time to time. Plastic bottles turned into brooms, some Earthship homes using recycled bottles in the walls that I really liked, and an old trampoline turned into a hanging bed. I try not to delve too deeply into the thought processes behind it all.

Bella Terra

The resin floor in my parent's house was poured on top of underlayment that was placed over the original vinyl floor. The resin floor cracked at pretty much every seam between sheets of underlayment. The house was built in 1979 and they used two layers of 5/8" plwood for the subfloor.

The builder who built the house did some silly things. The front foyer had tile laid directly over the plywood. The tile in the foyer didn't last five years before it was all cracked up. I helped my father remove one layer of plywood and install a layer of cement board and new tile. That tile has not cracked in 15 years. The two bathrooms on the same floor have tile and no cracks in the original tile.

I like this idea BUT I do not pinch penny, May I use paper money, I could print my own counterfeit money

The Canadian government recently discontinued the making of one cent coins..
    I imagine I can buy as many as I want for just....pennies.. I was totally floored
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cunningham View Post
    The Canadian government recently discontinued the making of one cent coins..
    I imagine I can buy as many as I want for just....pennies.. I was totally floored

Do the Canadian government still make non-round coins
    this coin would fit together better than a round coin

This is the country that makes a coin with the queen on one side and a beaver on the other. I'm still trying to figure that one out...