Thread: First (successful) Natural Edge Bowl

First (successful) Natural Edge Bowl

Many mistakes made but I'm very happy with the results. Pin Oak

IMG_4947.jpg

IMG_4949.jpg

A challenging piece, given the steep sides - I would say you were quite successful!!

3. Pin oak can be a bear to turn.........you did good on this one, especially with the curve on the side being so steep.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

+1 on what John and Roger said...well done!
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

I didn't expect pin oak to be so tough on me and my tools . Plus I am out of practice as turning time is few and far between for me these days. I had to stabilize the bark in a few places and I had a real hard time (its still not perfect) getting it smooth with the way the grain is. you can still feel it's a bit lower where the grain is, I suspect because that area is softer and cuts/sands easier. But it was fun and I learned a lot, including how difficult it is to chuck up a natural edge bowl in cole jaws to finish the bottom. Next time I'll plan ahead and maybe do the bottom first . Anyway, I am sure the recipient will love it and not notice the "flaws".

I'm VERY happy with how it turned out for my first "successful" natural edge bowl. I'm stoked to try it again with a couple other blanks I have.

Dave, on the next one, use a jam chuck (pressure against the inside bottom and tailstock pressure on the outside) to finish off the bottom - much easier!

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Dave, on the next one, use a jam chuck (pressure against the inside bottom and tailstock pressure on the outside) to finish off the bottom - much easier!

I thought about that after the fact. I sort of did that withe cole jaws and the tailstock but it wasn't perfect and meant I couldn't put too much pressure on it. I'll make up a decent jam chuck before I turn the next one. Thanks for the tip!

Nice looking first NE. I have to agree with John and Roger.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Congrats on your first NE! I am sure the recipient will love it! Looking forward to seeing your next one!!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Nice job! Looks good.