Thread: Furnace room Make up air.

Furnace room Make up air.

I'm in the process of moving my shop back to the furnace/water heater room in my basement. Converting the rest of the basement into a game and video room for my kids.
    Since I will be in the same room, I want to put up walls to seal the furnace/water heater from the dust I generate. The furnace gets it air from the outside, but my water heater still needs air. It is power vented though. Right now I'm planning on an upper vent and lower vent of 14" x 14" vent to the finished portion of the basement. Is this enough for a water heater?
    Thanks for the help.
    Dan

Check with a local gas fitter for the codes in your area. They will specify an opening size based upon the size of the gas appliance.........Rod.

Code usually dictates that make up air comes from the outside
    Carpe Lignum

I have 2 12" vented holes 1 top and 1 bottom. They provide make up air and the bottom one allows potential propane leaks to flow outside. Passed inspection last year. I have a 95t furnace and a 50 gallon power vent water heater.

I walled around my FCE and WH like you are discussing and put them in with a storage area. The shop air compressor is also in there. There are three interior passage doors from the storage area out to the rest of the basement. One of the doors is into the shop and I try to seal it. I don't have any "planned" make-up air, but it is drawn from the rest of the basement around the loose fitting passage doors. The WH is power vented and the furnace is also drawing make-up air from outside. There was no additional make-up air planned by the builder before I finished the basement. It passed inspection and I haven't had any problems. If you have a smaller space that you are enclosing them in, you may want to check with a professional as mentioned above.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'll check with the local inspector when I get back home. Just was curious how everyone else was handling this.
    Dan