Thread: Lesson Learned

Lesson Learned

Don't start fabricating the sign until the sign permit is issued.

Tony

Doooh!!! Good reminder. I've read up on my towns sign regulations recently since I'm new at this. Most people won't know too much about them but they probably expect you to be the expert. Do your customers expect you to pull the permit or do they have to do it themselves?
    CAMaster Cobra X3 408 w/Recoil
    BobCAD V25
    Corel Draw X5

Precision Sign and Post
    Windham, NH

I have gotten them but always tried to get them to do it, as it takes a lot of time. The building owner gets fined for an un-permitted sign, but the sign maker is expected to know better. I have had many customers balk at the permit because of the high fees and risk it, in those cases I would still make it but not do the installation. A few got caught and had to get a permit after the fact. I never had one have to come down because I would always make it to permit code specifications. The worst thing you can do is make it too big, then it has to come down and be done over, smaller.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green