Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The new tool test????

The new tool test????

When you are ready to buy a new tool....do you think about it for a few days...just buy it on impulse? Do you ask yourself it will improve your woodworking or just be another tool in the collection? another plane or chisel that is really redundant and just collects dust... Are you doing a new project that justifies the expense and need for the new tool? Will it add safety and health , like better dust collection to your woodworking.

Do you wish I would just mind my own business so you can continue collecting all the tools you want without the guilt?" Yeah, ..What is it his business anyway? "

"If I am hooked...it is my problem and I can seek my own help....of course when I get ready! "

"I could be spending it on wine...women...a boat..."(some interesting ideas )
    Last edited by Mark Singer; 04-04-2005 at 12:40 PM.
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

When I buy a new tool, generally it is with sufficient research to determine the quality and if it has the features I want. Then, once the particular tool (brand/model) is determined, look for the best price. Also, most all the tools I buy are bought with a specific use/project in mind. It also opens up new windows downstream in design when a new technique will be used.

Every so often impulse buys are made. Those items are on sufficient enough sale to justify the impulse.

Ted

The degree of chewing and contemplation is relative to the strategic nature of the tool in question. Stationary power tools I consider top-line strategic purchases and they definitely get planned for to a high degree. That's not saying I necessarily take eons to go through the process, but I do take enough time to thoroughly understand the machine in question and what it brings to my shop for the required investment. Other purchases are more ad-hock, but at this point generally result from a tactical need of a given project or set of anticipated projects. Many hand tools fit into this category, as well as cutters/tooling for existing resources and upgrades to things. Some purchases are both strategic and tactical...I would fit my Festool acquisitions over the last year in this category as they filled not only immediate needs, but also brought new capabilities and methods.

And like Ted closes with...sometimes ya just gotta pull the trigger on something that just seems "neat"...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

In general, I have been buying tools as I need them for a project. The net and the creek, in particular, allow me to find feedback/reviews that guide my purchases.

Some, of course, are just impulse purchases.

Mark, you can make the boat! You're in Cali so you can make the wine (and wooden barrels and presses). I doubt you need help with the women.

Good question Mark. For power tools I think about the purchase for a period of time, sometimes its a long time and other times not so long. Hand tools are a different story. I've bought more of them on impulse because I liked the way they feel or look.

I think we (woodworkers in general and those that frequent the internet in particular) think about tool purchases way too much. I'm not saying you shouldn't evaluate your needs and options before buying a tool. Lord knows I've bought my share of lemons over the years. However, I think we tend to overanalyze the whole process--We search for the one perfect tool when in reality it probably doesn't exist and any one of several would be perfectly servicable for our needs.

Come on be honest. Am I the only one who buys a new truck without a second thought, but agonizes over a $300 tool, for days or weeks, then immediately has buyers remorse after I get it home only to find out weeks or months later that it works exactly as advertised and does what I want it to do?
    Dennis

I think, research, think, research, buy, research, think I spent too much, justify, think, then use the new tool and smile repeat cycle.
    I can pay retail anywhere, so how's your service?
    Grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory one project at a time
    Maker of precision cut firewood

Great Topic Mark.

As for me, most of my tools have been project justified, but I am just starting out so that is easy. I don't buy tools just to have, anything that I buy is with a use in mind. As all, my funds are limited so at this point, I am not a collector.
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

I think about tool purchases all the time. Tim Allen's got nothing on me. I certainly have my impulse purchases, usually things I buy when looking at other bigger, more expensive things. I do like the concept of going through the delayed gratification process, doing my research and then aquiring a tool that is satisfying every time I use it.

As far as minding your own business, well, when somebody asks the 'what purchase' question on the forum, they are fair game.

Greg

Usually small power tools or hand tools I purchase because of an immediate need. Larger more expensive power tools, I research...research....decide on make and model.....then contemplate...procrastinate.....finally biting the bullet and buy it. The one time I've impulsively bought some major tool was my latest table saw. My wife wanted me to have it...it was on sale....she was with me....she insisted I buy it.......six or seven times in the hour we were in the store together......Later I had some I had some reservations but....we'll see.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I usually buy any tool that I think someday I will have a need for, this I'm always perpared.

Richard

Mark,

I'm curious as to whether some, or most of the folks on this forum produce income from woodworking. I'm green with envy when I see references to machines like an MM16 BS, but I just don't know how anyone can justify something like that unless you're earning a living with it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not being critical of those who do buy high-end mahcines for hobby use. If you're obligations are met and you're not going into debt for it, enjoy!

When it comes to major tool purchases (stationary power tools), I research, try to figure if I really need it (since I don't do this for a living, the answer is nearly always "no"). But if I happen across a really good bargain, I may buy it. This is basically how I outfitted my "shop". I started out with a PC router and Craftsman TS (the latter was long-since returned to Sears). After the TS false start, I took to studying, but just could not justify the cost of decent equipment in my mind. So I started looking at hand tools, learning about planes, hand saws, chisels, and buying a few inexpensive Stanleys, Disstons, etc, and learning how to tune and use them, figuring they wouldn't cost too much (ha!). Then, HD had the Great Grey Ridgid closeout, and even though LOML may not understand what a jointer and planer are, she comprehends 60% off. So now the center of my "shop" is my Ridgid 14" BS and router table, and the grey jointer and planer see a lot of use. Admittedly, not the greatest of tools, but fine for someone just starting out. Unfortunately, it may have been the worst "bargain" ever as it got me on the slippery slope. Kinda like winning your first pull of a slot machine in Vegas:-)

So for me, it's a lot of research and then look, and wait for opportunity to present itself.

James,
    For me it is just for fun...with the exception of scaled wood models I build for clients. ..If you are comitted to woodworking as a hobby for a long time it gets easier to justify the big purchases...you are dedicated and it is a passion...I think most of us started with some pretty cheap first machines and worked our way up replacing so-so stuff with better as our budgets and experience said it was prudent ....There is fun and learning at every level and really that is the real bottom line....
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

I tend to follow tools and reviews. I keep a list (in my head) of tools I want and acceptable options. That way, if a deal on something used comes up, I have already done the research and can pull the trigger. Otherwise, I wait for the need (or availability of cool purchase funds) before buying. "Impulse buys" generally come from my "list", just bought before need/plan. I even have small things like glue, finish, even screws on the list. Each project is an opportunity to try some new product, even those that don't lead to new tools ... wait ... have there been any of those

Jay
    Jay St. Peter

I'm a sucker for sales and closeouts. If I think that I have a reasonable chance of selling it if I don't like it, I usually take the plunge. At least I'm at the point where I don't go into home depot anymore and think that I need a tool. I either own it or know that it's not worth the $$$. Stationary purchases are another matter as I have been researching cabinet saws for the past year now. I have narrowed it down to delta, powermatic, grizzly, jet, saw stop, or general. Thank goodness the Skill combo set can be ruled out now
    There are two kinds of people in this world, those who say there are two kinds of people and those who don't

Blog Entries
    James,
    I used to try to justify tool purchases and say to myself things like "I need this tool!". But now I NEVER try to justify a tool purchase, because it always came down to not really needing the expensive tool over the cheap stuff.
    I know that I just WANT it. And as I get older and my expenses go down, (like no more kids at home) I can now buy the things I WANT, because they will bring me joy. Life is too short to settle for something less. It took me a long time to realize that it is ok to get something you want and not justify it to anyone. If you want it, get it, and don't feel guilty about it at all.
    PS I think women learn this way before men do

Larry
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.