Thread: WTB Miter Box

WTB Miter Box

I'm looking for a Miller Falls/Langdon/Acme miter box, size #1 or #2 1/2. Needs to be complete, no missing parts, and in good working order.

Thanks,

Tom

Maybe when my hands are cold and dead.

Thanks for your reply Tom. Please let me know when you make up your mind.

Tom

Well, Tom, I’m with Tom on my Langdon, but I ran across a Goodell-Pratt 1124A box less saw at the local Restore yesterday. It is a cast iron frame and I believe it belonged to a man who enjoyed it. It swings cleanly. It can be yours for the $10 I have in it plus UPS packing and freight. If I didn’t have ethe Langdon, I’d keep this one myself

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Frederick View Post
    Well, Tom, I’m with Tom on my Langdon, but I ran across a Goodell-Pratt 1124A box less saw at the local Restore yesterday. It is a cast iron frame and I believe it belonged to a man who enjoyed it. It swings cleanly. It can be yours for the $10 I have in it plus UPS packing and freight. If I didn’t have ethe Langdon, I’d keep this one myself
    Funny, while driving home from an appointment in the Portland area I stopped in a Restore in St. Helens. There was a Millers Falls 1124 (don't recall if it had a C on the label) miter box without a price on it. I joked to another rust hunter, "if it doesn't have a price tag does that mean it is free?" After we chuckled a bit a person came out from the back and I asked him about it. Long story short I ended up taking it home for $10.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I picked up my Langdon, the one I sent to Mike Allen last year and this one and two others in the last 6-7 years. I pass them out to people. Many I have left there, but this G&P swings so smoothly I just couldn’t leave it there. This ReStore does not keep the saw with the box so most have not had the saws.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5549.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	233.5 KB 
ID:	509635Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5547.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	244.1 KB 
ID:	509636

Tom, let me start off by saying I know nothing about the miter boxes you listed, but your post reminded me of something I’ve had in my attic for a few decades. I have a Stanley No. 2358 Mitre Box. I got it from a customer a long time ago. I will never use it. It has a Disston-Porter saw with it, the blade of which is more than 24” long. The whole thing seems to be pretty original, from the few photos I’ve see on the web. It’s missing two “L”-shaped pieces (slides?), one on either side, that I guess would have been used to hold the piece to be cut against the fence. One of the thumb screws for these slides is also missing. While it ‘works’ it certainly needs cleaning and some TLC. Will this mitre box work for your needs?

If this will work for you, send me a PM and we can work out shipping and such. If it doesn’t fit the bill, best of luck in your search.
    Don't let it bring you down,
    It's only castles burning,
    Just find someone who's turning,
    And you will come around

Neil Young (with a little bit of emphasis added by me)

Board member, Gulf Coast Woodturners Association

I have a long miter box saw if anyone needs it. I bought it some years ago to use with the Langdon-Acme, but parts of it like the back are too small to work with that box. It's been long enough ago that I don't even remember all the details. I has a really nice handle on it, much nicer than the saw that comes with the L-A. I put it back in the shipping package it came in, and it hasn't been out since. That is, if I can find it. If I can find it and anyone needs it, it will go just for the shipping cost. No promises about finding it. I know it's here somewhere, but I have several buildings full of stuff. I don't care to look for it if someone just wants it for no good reason. If you need it, you probably know which box it's for.