Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vector Artwork in Photoshop

Vector Artwork in Photoshop

I've never used Photoshop, so I don't know how to use it.

The problem is that people send me .psd files that they create in Photoshop and when I import them into Corel, they come in as bitmaps rather than vector files.

I found out that if I tell people to convert their text to "outlines" (I assume the equivalent of "curves" in Corel) that it will import as a vector. However, what should they do for graphics (ie. a star or an outline of a lion, etc) so that when I import it, it is a vector?

I've tried asking people to save their file as an .eps but even then, when I import it and ungroup it, it is still a bitmap.

So can anyone give me a one or two line phrase telling someone how to save and send a .psd file so that it is a vector when I import it?
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

You can't.

One is a raster program, one is a vector program. You can't go to the Honda dealer and tell them you want parts for your Chevy.

Tell them to do the job in Illustrator and not PS. Otherwise, you're stuck right where you are at.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Steve,

Photoshop is not a vector program, although you can work with vector like tools, like text, shapes and paths, unfortunately you can only export paths as outlines only, not many people do this but is possible, the way to do it is by first creating a selection of the object/s, be text etc. then convert the selection to a path, then export the path as a Illustrator path, now you can import the path to Corel, just note that when you import it in Corel it will import with no color so it will appear as if there is nothing, all you have to do is select it and then give it an outline color.

Ruben

To make it short, PhotoShop is similar to Corel Photo Paint (both Raster programs) and Illustrator is similar to Corel Draw. both Vector programs)
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

OK...thanks!
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

I was going to point you to Ruben, but he already chimed in. He helped me out
    with this same thing.
    Unfortunately, some people will not understand the vector concept and might just
    save the file with a different extension, so you need to watch for that. The people
    who know what you're talking about probably wouldn't need to be told in the first
    place.

Take a look at post #17 on this thread:
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...e+visible+path

I love it when a customer sends me a raster file and I ask for vector instead, suggesting eps, pdf, ai, etc., and they send a pdf with a bitmap inside...

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hair View Post
    I love it when a customer sends me a raster file and I ask for vector instead, suggesting eps, pdf, ai, etc., and they send a pdf with a bitmap inside...
    Oh man, that drives me crazy. I had a guy a month ago call and ask what format I needed the file in. I told him I could use DXF for what he was telling me. He sends me a jpeg, saved as a DXF format. I open it, it's a jpeg. I call him, tell him it's not a DXF, it's a jpeg. He sends it again. Same thing. Then he calls me stupid and says that he clearly is sending it as a DXF, just look at the extension on the file, it says "DXF".
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

I sense a bunch of 'worlds dumbest customers' stories coming.

This should get good! Lol
    40 watt Full Spectrum Engineering laser. Two hobby CNC carving machines (CarveWright). Shop full of loud and noisy stuff to turn large expensive materials into cheap splinters and dust.

when I owned a photo lab, it was difficult to explain why an image on the monitor would
    not print a beautiful 8x10. I gave up trying to explain the difference between a 72dpi
    monitor image and a 400dpi continuous tone print. All they understood is that the image
    looked great as their avatar..

Another thing to note is that EPS can be either vector, bitmap or both.
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.

Adobe Illustrator will open a .psd providing a dialog w/ options for what is converted.

There's an option for text to stay as text --- smart shapes can stay vector, &c.

Let's be careful not to confuse people. You cannot take a bitmap from Photoshop and open it as vectors in Illustrator. The programs are so complex and do so many different things and people read one thing and think it applies to all objects. If you have a photo of your Grandmother in Photoshop, it's never going to open as vectors in Illustrator or Corel. If someone has drawn something from scratch in Photoshop and used text and objects (shapes, etc.), then you stand a better chance at using that in Illustrator, but if it's just a pure bitmap in Photoshop, it's not going to happen as a vector file.

So can you open PS files as vector work? The answer is "Sort of", but if you're in the "sort of" land in your discussion with someone, then chances are, they have no idea what you're talking about and won't be giving you what you need.

I'd say 99.9% of the items people will give you are not things drawn with text and shapes.

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas J Miller View Post
    I sense a bunch of 'worlds dumbest customers' stories coming.

This should get good! Lol

I'm sure there are a bunch of customers out there that have similar stories about us. I can see it
    now. "can you believe this engraver? He asks for a DFX file so I save it as that and he tells me its a JPG!
    I did this 5 times before I finally gave up, it clearly said DFX in the file extension! I guess he can't read!"
    Martin Boekers

Geo Knight K Mug Press,

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Stone View Post
    when I owned a photo lab, it was difficult to explain why an image on the monitor would
    not print a beautiful 8x10. I gave up trying to explain the difference between a 72dpi
    monitor image and a 400dpi continuous tone print. All they understood is that the image
    looked great as their avatar..
    Being and old photographer and printer myself, I have to admit it took a while for me to understand resolution and compression
    when the digital age hit. The old days it was about film format and sensitivity that made the difference.
    Martin Boekers

Geo Knight K Mug Press,