Thread: Lasermag

Lasermag

Has anyone cut and engraved romark lasermag.I have someone that wants 1200 magnets cut and engraved about 3"x3".I called and ordered a sample to try.
    GCC new mercury II 40 watt
    Corel Draw x5 suite
    All kinds of woodworking/construction junk

I have, but don't expect them to hold onto a car, or a textured refrigerator. I found the magnetic hold to be very weak. Also, you will want to stick it onto a piece of sheet metal to keep it flat or will have focus problems when it warps from the heat of engraving.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

It's been some time since I attempted to cut magnetic material and the reason is that I found it to be excessively dirty.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I purchase magnetic rubber by the roll and find it useful for many many projects. Lately we have been putting stickers on the rubber and then cutting it to fit the sticker profile so we don't have to place stickers directly on car bumpers or on the paint. I also find this particular material to be useful on my laser bed for holding thin material down and to block glass pieces so they won't slide.

Combining laser engraving and vinyl on magnetic rubber provides some color for various jobs and I have used laser lights stuck to magnetic rubber to add color as well.

Magnetic Rubber is definitely a dirty material to work with and clean up adds time to the job that forces the cost up. A small pressure washer works pretty good for removing the bulk of the burned edges.

Remember too, depending on what they will do with them, I have seen many a car paint job ruined by magnetic signs. They really do have to take them off, wash behind them on the car and the back of the magnet weekly or it will glue itself on with dirt and take the paint off when removed.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Thanks for the feedback . These will be for frige magnets for a what to do list.Adding color to them would probably be nice .Not sure how I would do that though.
    GCC new mercury II 40 watt
    Corel Draw x5 suite
    All kinds of woodworking/construction junk

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Pelonio View Post
    Remember too, depending on what they will do with them, I have seen many a car paint job ruined by magnetic signs. They really do have to take them off, wash behind them on the car and the back of the magnet weekly or it will glue itself on with dirt and take the paint off when removed.

Joe my soon put a TAZ magnet on his hood years ago can't get it off it is now a hood ornament
    Craig Matheny
    Anaheim, Ca
    45 watt Epilog Laser, 60 watt Epilog Laser,
    Plasma Cutter, MiG Welder
    Rikon 70-100 Lathe
    Shop Smith V510, To many hand Tools and
    Universal Repair Kit (1- Hammer and 1- Roll of Duck Tape)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Reinhard View Post
    Thanks for the feedback . These will be for frige magnets for a what to do list.Adding color to them would probably be nice .Not sure how I would do that though.
    There are dozens of companies that will print better magnets and cut them to any shape you need, and do it far cheaper than you can do it on the laser.. The laser mag might be good for a few prototypes, but certainly not for a 1200 piece run..Digital full colour is dirt cheap compared to a few years ago..
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

I have worked with the lasermag before. I have a few notes:

- When you engrave, a lot of the black core residue comes up and can make quite a mess. So, you may want to mask the material first.

- However, I have also found that the material seems to "age" really quickly making the thin top layer fragile. So, if you do mask it, you may want to use a very light mask as it may pull up the top layer in older material if the material has been sitting around a long time or if the mask is really sticky.