Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone have EXPERIENCE installing full-frame replacement windows?

I thought the idea of replacement windows was to leave the window frame in place, and install window units in the old frame, without disturbing the trim on the outside or the inside. Pella makes replacements which fit that way, can't say I enjoyed installing them, but at least you can do 6 or 8 in a day. My neighbor bought his from Sears, they took out the casement sashes out, and put double hung units in to replace them. One double unit they sawed out the center post and put a slider in. Course he told me later they cost 1,000 per window installed.

Replacement insert windows are a compromise between affordability and appearance/performance.

Thanks everyone for the additional input. I’ll take a look at your manufacturer recommendations.

Here’s a link to an article by Mike Sloggatt that answers some of my questions about installing full-frame replacement windows on brick-veneer homes.
    http://www.coastalcontractor.net/pdf...5/0705repl.pdf

Phil, that trim package by Andersen looks interesting. If it looks good it might be worth the mucho $$$ they’ll want for the kits.

That’s a bunch of doors and windows Larry. What a nightmare. I’ve always said that Andersen was probably better at marketing windows than they were at making them.

I helped a friend rebuild several walls / replace windows in his now Ex wife's house a few years ago after they got hit with termites. You obviously will need to have all the siding off of the house to do the job. Due to being in wind zone 1 for hurricane protection he had to get storm rated windows too... They go on pretty easy. Just make sure you tack it in place, make sure it stayed level, and operates fine, throw a few more nails at it, test again, then finish it up...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

I ordered a Jeld-wen custom sized replacement window several years ago for my kids' nursery. Worked great, and was pretty affordable. I just removed the double-hung sashes and slid it in to place, caulked it and added trim.

Went to see my Anderson dealer yesterday about the previously mentioned house. Andersons answer on failures on 12 year old doors, actually 10 as this has been going on for 2 years was no dice. I asked if he had explained that as a contractor I had used millions of dollars worth of Andersons and he said he had, but they just don't care.

Well, neither do I. For many years I talked customers into Anderson because it was a good product with excellent service. Not any more.

I should have known when their stuff started showing up in the box stores that they had hit the skids.

Larry