Thread: Heavenly Star

Heavenly Star

Ever year I try and make something different to chip carve on and this year was no exception. I made a basswood 24" x 24" x 4" raised star. The ridges on this created unique challenges in both design and execution. I made the 5 points and carved them before I assembled them. I bleached the wood before carving and sealed it with lacquer.
    If you use your imagination a little you will see arrows that run out to the points of the star. The inner star points are used as the feathers. ;-)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Always Chipping Away"

Roger, that is indeed heavenly!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Blog Entries
    Fantastic Roger! How did you texture the outer band of the inner star? Your carving is incredibly crisp and detailed. Seems like each successive magnification looks better than the one before. The contrast between bleached and natural tones is exquisite. Thanks for sharing.

beautiful work!

I agree - beautiful work. I also want to know how you textured that band.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Gorgeous! Your precision is amazing, a very beautiful piece.

Now that's something to write home about...
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I agree - beautiful work. I also want to know how you textured that band.

Mike
    Mike, That textured band is one long drawn out process. I use a single center punch and lightly tap the areas I want stippled. I grind the punch to the same angle as my cuts so if I should get into the cut it will only slide into the cut and not damage it. I tried a punch with multiple points, to speed up the process, but it left a pattern which I didn't like so I stuck with that long draw out process.
    "Always Chipping Away"

Very nice....hard to figure where you would start something like that. Do you have any pics of the process ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Jolliffe View Post
    Very nice....hard to figure where you would start something like that. Do you have any pics of the process ?
    Yes I do have a few progress pictures 12.jpgIMGP0237.jpgIMGP0260.jpgIMGP0201.jpg. I made the star points and chip carved them before I glued them together.
    "Always Chipping Away"

Thank you Roger....Great work....Something I haven't tried yet is carving. I'm not really artistic in that way so I haven't bothered to try....Maybe someday..

I agree the precision is amazing and looks excellent - well done!