Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steel dust pipe

Steel dust pipe

Anyone interested in setting up a galvanised steel dust collection system might check Home Depot web site. For these items, their database is not especially well organised however, they do sell many different sizes of fittings in heavier gauges than you'll find in the store. The trick to finding these listings is to search the manufacturer's names "Master Flow" and "Speedi-Products". Most items are substantially less than you'll find elsewhere and pretty much everything ships for free on orders over $45.

Well that is way cool. They have 666 wyes (wish they had a 664) for $11, even adding the 64 reducer is cheaper than my cheapest place selling DC wyes.

Peter,

Thanks for the tip. What is the preferred way to attach the runs of ducting together while maintaining as little drag as possible, also is there a minimum gauge thickness you recommend?

Grizzly sells vent piping that can be as expensive as $50 dollars for a 5ft run of duct. But if I can do it just as good, but cheaper I am game.

I am new to wood working, and I am looking for the most cost effective way to make this great new hobby a safe one.

Thanks.

~Chris

I'd say that the minimum thickness of steel for dust collection pipe is 26 gauge. What is typically sold in-store at most home centers is 30 gauge and as others have found, this is not adequate, especially on the larger systems. One key to reducing drag inside the system is to keep everything as smooth as possible. Flatten out any interior tabs, keep the runs as straight as possible and use as few crimped connections as you can. Also, tape or silicone over any areas you might get suction loss. If you really want to get super-sonic about it, you could go with spiral pipe for the straight sections and just use slip connectors to join them. 6"x5' 26 gauge pipe is around $13 from Spiral manufacturing.

Grizzly and Penn State are very expensive for ducting btw.
    Last edited by Peter Kelly; 05-22-2012 at 11:51 AM. Reason: clarity

I've got 30 guage stuff and I'd put it at the barely adequate category. Firing up the 2HP griz cyclone connected to it with the blast gates all closed causes the longer sections of 30g snap pipe to oil can a bit (haven't collapsed completely). The fittings and the shorter sections (the crimp where you jam the sections together gives you a bit more rigidity) aren't as much of a problem.

Most of my fittings had come form Ken Craft (http://www.kencraftcompany.com/) though he's out of stock periodically.

I spin a 16" impeller with a 5 hp motor and all of my duct work came from home depot. $120 versus $500 plus and I've yet to collapse any of it with all the blast gates closed. You just got to know how to properly install it!

I have a 2 1/2" open hose going to the top of the RAS. No gate. Can't close everything this way.

Rick Potter

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Bienlein View Post
    I spin a 16" impeller with a 5 hp motor and all of my duct work came from home depot. $120 versus $500 plus and I've yet to collapse any of it with all the blast gates closed. You just got to know how to properly install it!
    Alan what guage are you useing?
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    Anyone interested in setting up a galvanised steel dust collection system might check Home Depot web site. For these items, their database is not especially well organised however, they do sell many different sizes of fittings in heavier gauges than you'll find in the store. The trick to finding these listings is to search the manufacturer's names "Master Flow" and "Speedi-Products". Most items are substantially less than you'll find elsewhere and pretty much everything ships for free on orders over $45.
    Peter have you used the "Master Flow" or "Speedi-Products" on your system?

Thanks Richard
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

10. Quote Originally Posted by richard poitras View Post
    Alan what guage are you useing?
    I'm using the snap lock duct from home depot. It's either 28 or 30 gauge.

Quote Originally Posted by richard poitras View Post
    Peter have you used the "Master Flow" or "Speedi-Products" on your system?
    I've bought parts from both manufacturers but have only used them for HVAC stuff, never dust collection (parts look fine). I however am setting up a new dust system and wanted to use 26 or 24 gauge wherever possible so I'm planning on ordering everything except the straight sections from the HD.

Blog Entries
    My local HD seems to only stock the 26 gauge snap lock pipe at about $1.50 per foot in the 6" size. Stay away from anything lighter in gauge (higher numbers than 26). Someone posted a pic with their 30 gauge duct system fully collapsed.
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 05-24-2012 at 9:18 AM.

Thanks guys for the requested info......
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    My local HD seems to only stock the 26 gauge snap lock pipe at about $1.50 per foot in the 6" size. Stay away from anything lighter in gauge (higher numbers than 26). Someone posted a pic with their 30 gauge duct system fully collapsed.
    $1.50/ft is an awesome price for 26ga 6" pipe. Unfortunately, HD (on line and at nearby stores) only seem to stock it in 2' sections which isn't ideal for me as I have a 30' straight run. I ended up buying just 6x6x6 26ga wyes and elbows from HD, 6"x5' straight sections and reducers from drillspot.com, gates and 6" hose from blastgateco. All told, a complete 26ga system for about $350.

That is pretty low cost! Let us know how it all comes together.
    Salem